cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental backup will NOT increment -- Always full backup.

I need a solution Win 7-64 SSR 2013 11.0.2.49853 up to date. 

I have an internal HD that I have a backup job to a FOLDER on drive "N". I am attempting to run incremental backup of an external USB drive to a different folder also on drive N.  I can not get the incremental back up to increment.  I ALWAYS get a new full backup set. The full-incremental backup is been indexed by one such as -002.v2i and -003.v2i each time.

Is the reason:

I am backing up from an external USB drive.  SSR does not write the VtrackDiskController or the .VTrack folder to the external disk.

Or is the problem that I am trying to use folders not partitions on the HD I store the backup.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution!

I have changed the way that I

I have changed the way that I do backup and no longer backup the external drive.  Thus the problem is not solved but I have a work around.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Which driveletter is assigned

Which driveletter is assigned to the external usb drive you want to backup?

Which driveletter is assigned

Which driveletter is assigned to the external usb drive you want to backup?

The internal drive is "M" back up to a folder on "N"

The USB external drive is "Z" back up to a different folder on "N".  I named the external drive Z so it would always be the same driveletter when I connect and disconnect it.

How does SSR "flag" a sector

How does SSR "flag" a sector or disk  that the sector has not changed?

Afaik It does this by

Afaik It does this by comparing at the block level but how exactly I have no idea, but i would assume by doing some checksum calculations.

Do you have the verify option

Do you have the verify option enabled? One reason for starting a new full backup automatically is, when SSR thinks it can't create a incremental. With verify on you'd be notified of this.

Do you have the verify option

Do you have the verify option enabled?  Yes.

Have you tried to delete and

Have you tried to delete and recreate all JOBs and Logs. Sometimes this worked with us.

Have you tried to delete and

Have you tried to delete and recreate all JOBs  YES .

and Logs. NO, I am sure I know how to do this.

Have a look here:

The link above states "SSR

The link above states "SSR 2011 does not like swapping of USB drives as a backup destination, especially for base+inc jobs. It is recommended to setup a separate job for each drive, or use the offsite feature by backing up to a fixed location and allowing offsite to sync to the 2 rotating drives."

I do NOT want an EXTRA off site copy.  I have a "separate job" for the single USB drive I have.  I could not find a way to use the offsite feature for a SINGLE backup to a USB drive.

OK, then I'm out of luck. Let

OK, then I'm out of luck. Let me escalate this to support for you.

One more bit of information. 

One more bit of information.  I test different software/hardware from an uneducated novice user viewpoint.  As a result I often instead of simply removing old progarams, I restore my OS on the "C" drive to a  known good state by restoring from an older SSR recovery point.

I am not sure but I may have done a full restore of the OS (and of course the SSR program) between the backups of my Z drive.  However, this does not explaine why SSR does not write the VtrackDiskController or the .VTrack folder to the external  Z disk.

I recheck my notes.  I DID

I recheck my notes.  I DID NOT do a restore of the OS between the backups

Does the isse still exist?

Does the isse still exist?

I am still haveing the

I am still haveing the problem.

Hm, can you open a support

Hm, can you open a support case by yourself?

Accepted Solution!

I have changed the way that I

I have changed the way that I do backup and no longer backup the external drive.  Thus the problem is not solved but I have a work around.

View solution in original post