cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental backup will NOT increment -- Always full backup.

TenOC
Level 4

I need a solution Win 7-64 SSR 2013 11.0.2.49853 up to date. 

I have an internal HD that I have a backup job to a FOLDER on drive "N". I am attempting to run incremental backup of an external USB drive to a different folder also on drive N.  I can not get the incremental back up to increment.  I ALWAYS get a new full backup set. The full-incremental backup is been indexed by one such as -002.v2i and -003.v2i each time.

Is the reason:

I am backing up from an external USB drive.  SSR does not write the VtrackDiskController or the .VTrack folder to the external disk.

Or is the problem that I am trying to use folders not partitions on the HD I store the backup.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TenOC
Level 4

I have changed the way that I do backup and no longer backup the external drive.  Thus the problem is not solved but I have a work around.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Which driveletter is assigned to the external usb drive you want to backup?

TenOC
Level 4

Which driveletter is assigned to the external usb drive you want to backup?

The internal drive is "M" back up to a folder on "N"

The USB external drive is "Z" back up to a different folder on "N".  I named the external drive Z so it would always be the same driveletter when I connect and disconnect it.

TenOC
Level 4

How does SSR "flag" a sector or disk  that the sector has not changed?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Afaik It does this by comparing at the block level but how exactly I have no idea, but i would assume by doing some checksum calculations.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Do you have the verify option enabled? One reason for starting a new full backup automatically is, when SSR thinks it can't create a incremental. With verify on you'd be notified of this.

TenOC
Level 4

Do you have the verify option enabled?  Yes.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you tried to delete and recreate all JOBs and Logs. Sometimes this worked with us.

TenOC
Level 4

Have you tried to delete and recreate all JOBs  YES .

and Logs. NO, I am sure I know how to do this.

TenOC
Level 4

The link above states "SSR 2011 does not like swapping of USB drives as a backup destination, especially for base+inc jobs. It is recommended to setup a separate job for each drive, or use the offsite feature by backing up to a fixed location and allowing offsite to sync to the 2 rotating drives."

I do NOT want an EXTRA off site copy.  I have a "separate job" for the single USB drive I have.  I could not find a way to use the offsite feature for a SINGLE backup to a USB drive.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

OK, then I'm out of luck. Let me escalate this to support for you.

TenOC
Level 4

One more bit of information.  I test different software/hardware from an uneducated novice user viewpoint.  As a result I often instead of simply removing old progarams, I restore my OS on the "C" drive to a  known good state by restoring from an older SSR recovery point.

I am not sure but I may have done a full restore of the OS (and of course the SSR program) between the backups of my Z drive.  However, this does not explaine why SSR does not write the VtrackDiskController or the .VTrack folder to the external  Z disk.

TenOC
Level 4

I recheck my notes.  I DID NOT do a restore of the OS between the backups

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Does the isse still exist?

TenOC
Level 4

I am still haveing the problem.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, can you open a support case by yourself?

TenOC
Level 4

I have changed the way that I do backup and no longer backup the external drive.  Thus the problem is not solved but I have a work around.