cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install error "Failed to have success running InstallVSSProvider function in MSIInstallVSSProvider Function"

ahleung
Level 3

I get the error message "Failed to have success running InstallVSSProvider function in MSIInstallVSSProvider Function" when installing Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 on Windows 2k8.

When I open the BESR window, it can't detect my HDDs. The error message is :
System.Runtime.IntercopServices.COMException (0x8000000A) at VProAuto.ProtectorAutoClass.get_ComputerPolicyLevel(Boolean IncludeFFB.Object&Volumes.Object&Policies) at Symantec.VPro.VProUI.VProConnection.ComputerPolicyRefresh()

And I get the error message "Failed to have success running UninstallVSSProvider function in  MSIUninstallVSSProvider Function" when uninstalling it.

The strange thing is, this didn't happen at first. I had successfully installed BESR on the same Windows in the beginning. Then many people "touched" the machine, trying to setup a Windows Clusters or someting. After then, when I try to reinstall BESR, this problem occurs.

BESR version: 2010.9.0.0.35656
Windows version: Win2k8 Enterprise Edition R2 x64.
Server model: IBM BladeCenter HS22 7870C4E
5 REPLIES 5

ahleung
Level 3
screenshots

fjorq
Not applicable
Check to see if the Distributed Transaction Coordinator service is started.  I had the same issue (on a winXP system).  I uninstalled BESR, restarted the system, made sure that the DTC service was started and re-run the install.  Everything went ok after that.
Another indication that this may be the same issue I faced is if you do not see the "Symantec SymSnap VSS Provider" service is listed.  Again, the above procedure should resolve it...

I hope it helps...

The_Zone
Level 2
Same problem as original poster. Windows 2008 R2, with Exchange 2010. BESR installed fine to start with.

Then installed Mail Security 6.5 for Exchange, rebooted and then the problems started. Seems to uninstall fairly cleanly, but get error during reinstall.

DTC service is started, and tried enabling SymSnap, same error....

ahleung
Level 3

At the end we simply reinstalled Windows. The problem was gone then.

Didn't know why. Could only hope it won't happen again..........

peter12
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I uninstalled BESR, restarted the system, made sure that the DTC service was started and re-run the install.

Didn't worked for me, getting the same error.

I've installed the agent in winXP, win7-32 bit, with no problem, but in win7-x64 can install, always with the same errors... anyone can point me in the right direction?