cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation BESR 2010 for Linux fails on a virtual Linux server running on a Xenserver 5.5

Johans
Level 3
Hi,

I have a Red Hat ES Linux 5.3 (64-bit) virtual machine running on a Xenserver 5.5.

I have installed fuse 2.8.1 and squashfs-tools 3.0-4 on that Linux machine.

When I start the binary file ./Symantec_Backup_Exec_System_recovery.bin (to install BESR2010),  I get the following message after the license info:

The symbdsnap module cannot be installed on the booted system kernel (2.6.18_128.1.10.el5.xs5.5.0.51xen).
Exiting install.

Does anybody know what could be the reason and how to proceed ?

Rgds,
Johan

13 REPLIES 13

criley
Employee Accredited
Obvious question: is 32-bit runtime enabled? BESR for Linux is a 32-bit app and needs this to be enabled.

Johans
Level 3
How can I check that and if disabled how to enable it ?

Johan

criley
Employee Accredited
Use the following command to check if it's installed:

# rpm -qa | grep ia32el

The following checks the status of the service:

# service ia32el status

Hope the helps.

Johans
Level 3

Hi,

This also counts for Intel based servers ? Please find below the output of the "uname -m" cmd on my linux server

# uname -m
x86_64

# rpm -qa | grep ia32l gives no output -> so such a package is not installed. I have found on the following site of Red Hat:

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2005-275.html

ia32el-1.2-2.EL3.1.src.rpm -> but no binary which is installable.  

I haven't seen a x32 version of this extra package ???

Rgds,
Johan

criley
Employee Accredited
Johans,

That's a question I can't answer I'm afraid. If you have support with Red Hat, I would suggest you speak to them about this. I think this is the cause of the install failure you are seeing.

Please post back if you are able to resolve this with Red Hat.

Johans
Level 3
Hi,

I have installed the package ia32el-1.3-1.EL3.ia64.rpm (dowloaded from Red Hat) and i stil lget the same error message.

???

Johan

criley
Employee Accredited
I plan to setup a Red Hat server here to see if I get the same issue. I'll post back here with my results.

Johans
Level 3
Hi Chris,

When I install user 2.7.4 in stead of fuser 2.8.1 the installation goes on.
I will try to make a v2i file to see if it works.

Rgds
Johan

criley
Employee Accredited
Thanks for the update.

Yes, I just double checked the admin guide and we only support Fuse 2.7.x.

Johans
Level 3

Chris,

I have now installed Symantec BSER on 2 Linux servers with success each using fuser 2.7.4. I am now busy installing it on a third server also having the same linux version as well squashfs and fuser versions, and On the third server, i get the same message:

The symbdsnap module cannot be installed on the booted system kernel (2.6.18_128.1.10.el5.xs5.5.0.51xen).
Exiting install.

So, there must be something else in the game as well.

Rgds,
Johan

Johans
Level 3
Chris,

When I do an # insmod of the symbsnap.ko, i get in the dmesg file:

symbdsnap: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.

The version of the kernel is the same as on my 2 other linux servers

Does this driver file come from fuser ? The installation of it ended well with "Exit 0"

Ever seen this ?

Rgds,
Johan

criley
Employee Accredited
Johans,

Did you manage to resolve this? If not, I can send you a utility to gather some logs that may help us to determine the problem.

Let me know.

Johans
Level 3
Hi Chris,

1) Yes and No. I installed it on 3 virtual servers. On 2 of them it works fine; on the third one i cannot get it to work. The installation of BESR is interupted.

I first upgraded the Linux kernel to 2.6.18-128.7.1 and I use fuse 2.7.4 in stead of 2.8.

It seems that the problem is the license difference: Red Hat : GNU while the Symantec BESR is Propriery. But how can it than work on the other 2 servers with the same configuration and version ?

So, I am still interested in the tool to collect logs for the day I have to install it on production servers. Can you see my e-mai address when you know my account "Johans" on your site ?

2) What is absolutely not clear in the product is the following:

To be able to restore a .v2i to a partition slice, the filesystem on it first have to be unmounted. For the /boot filsystem that works fine but unmounting  the (root) / filesystem is impossible. Does this mean that a restore can only be done to a new partition and not to the original one. I tried that last and that worked. Can you clarify that ? 

Johan