cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid target drive

DStain
Level 5

Occasionally when I boot into the recovery screen (using LOR) and select a date recovery SSR shows invalid target drive.

The remedy is to highlight the recovery point and select edit, then select the target volume and then OK.

Then go back to the recovery screen and select recover my computer, select the date recovery point and the target becomes valid again.

I had this issue when testing last year and I would have thought by now this issue should have been resolved.

I did say when testing that I would monitor the situation and report accordingly.

When you need to re-image a machine this sort of thing shouldn't be happening.

Deric

48 REPLIES 48

DStain
Level 5

Thanks Chris,

I had downloaded to one of my external drives that can be seen in the recovery environment.

Edit: I'll give it a try later, I have sorted out a couple of spare drives and am in the process of loading the O/Ss and creating a dual boot with seperate drives. .

Deric

DStain
Level 5

Chris,

I can now compare two single drives against partitions.

Booted back into the SSD and into the recovery environment and the target drive was invalid again so I ran the nirsoft utility and it listed all the drivers. Can you tell from the pic if there is a driver problem?

Deric

DStain
Level 5

Chris,

I have saved the list of drivers in a notepad file if you want to have a look.

Deric

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, please attach the file because the screenshot does not help.

Also, please confirm the make/model of the SSD.

DStain
Level 5

Chris,

I am monitoring the situation with the two seperate drives and as with the single drive in the laptop there is not a problem at the moment.

I can't tell a good driver from a bad one (passed my driving test 50 years ago) Lol.

The SSD is a Samsung 128 GB number 7704F8D8.

Deric

criley
Employee Accredited

Do you know which controller the SSD is connected to?

Whilst we may be able to locate a newer driver that *may* help, I would be surprised if we make any headway on this...

For the time you are investing in troubleshooting, is it really worth it? As you say, most of the time it's working. For those times when it does not work, we know the solution (just wait for the drive to be detected by WinPE).

Chances are, the hardware manufacturer of either the controller or the drive itself would need to provide the fix here.

DStain
Level 5

Chris,

As far as the controller is concerned I don't know, at the moment I have the two seperate drives connected.

There is not a problem as yet, they work as you would expect a single drive to as in the laptop.

I believe the Beta team considered that a dual boot configuration on a single drive partitioned wasn't worth bothering with at the Beta stage.

Like you said there is a work arround,I can always live with that, but, I use a third party software that doesn't have a problem with it.

I do get a buz out of troubleshooting it increases my experience with the software and I get to know its limitations.

Since I have been swapping drives arround the Invalid Target Drive happens every time on the SSD but not on the two seperate drives.

I think we can close this thread now and put it to bed.

Deric

criley
Employee Accredited

Like you said there is a work arround,I can always live with that, but, I use a third party software that doesn't have a problem with it.

Does that 3rd party software use a WinPE based environment? If not, you cannot compare it. I'm not saying there is a problem with the drive itself, just that something within WinPE is not working in quite the way it should. Remember that WinPE is Microsoft code, not Symantec..

I think we can close this thread now and put it to bed.

OK, that's fine with me. Whilst we could not fix the issue, at least you now know what is causing the drive to appear as invalid.

If you have further issues/questions, please start a new thread.

DStain
Level 5

Thanks Chris for your assistance on this issue, I didn't realise that WinPE was Microsoft code, you live and learn.

The third party software doesn't use WinPE software, at least as you say we now know the cause of the problem , I'm happy with that.

Deric.