cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this kind of backup possible with BESR 7.x??

TomMLS
Level 5
A full backup at 1200 midnight.
Then incremental backups (deltas??) at, for example, 0600, 0900, 1200, 1500, 1800 during the day.
Keep one day's backups, full and delta.
Start the same process again.
Delete the one-day-old backups, full and deltas.
Repeat this process daily.

How would I set this up??

Thank you, Tom
3 REPLIES 3

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

This job schedule is possible.

The instructions listed below is for 7.0x but can be adapted for the 6.5x product line.

(1)   To start, after selecting your drives that you want to backup using this your schedule, choose to create a, ‘Recovery point set,’ then an, ‘Independent recovery point,’ when defining your job.

(2)   Choose your storage destination and click NEXT.

(3)   On the OPTIONS window in the Define backup wizard, select the option, ‘Limit the number of recovery point sets saved for this backup,’ and as a value choose 1; this will limit the storage location to saving only one complete set (i.e. a single day).

NOTE: Be sure to have enough storage space to save one additional baseline recovery point image then the number you specified. Unless BESR must complete a new baseline recovery point image before deleting a previous one. If this is not an option, use the TOOLS > MANAGE BACKUP DESTINATION and select destination and the SETTINGS button to specify a threshold value that BESR can reach before deleting older recovery point images.

(4)   Enter your command batch files if needed under the Command files window.

(5)   On the BACKUP TIME window in the Define backup wizard do the following:

a.      Select Weekly for the, ’Start a new recovery point set (base),’ value

b.      Click the CUSTOM button.

c.      Select the days of the week you want this schedule to run

d.      Set the Start time to 12:00 AM then click OK.

e.      Check the box near the option, ‘Schedule.’

f.        Select the days of the week as you did in step 5c.

g.      Set the start time at 6:00AM (note this is the time from the client’s perspective)

h.      Click the Advance button

i.         Check the box near the option, ‘Run more than once per day.’

j.         Choose the value,’3 hours,’ for the option, ‘Time between backups:’

k.       Choose the value, ‘5’, for the option, ‘Number of times:’

l.         Click OK

(6)   Click Next

(7)   To stay on Schedule do not select to run job now option

TomMLS
Level 5
Thank you!!

Questions: If I implement this sort of backup plan -- am I then required to use the incrementals to do a restore or a P2V conversion??

I assume that I am -- and I've read on this forum there are a lot of bugs with the restore from incrementals.

I would like to retain the option of just restoring or converting from the full backup that I have.

I could run a separate full backup if necessary.

Thank you, Tom

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You are not required to use the incremental updates to do a restore or a P2V conversion.

At time of conversion follow the steps below to compile your recovery point set to a single *.V2i that you will use for conversion. If you do not choose to recompile your recovery point set to a single recovery point file, the convert to Virtual disk Wizard allows the option to select an image by filename; simple choose that day’s baseline recovery point image.

To archive (re-compile) a recovery point image to a new recovery point image

=====================================================

1. On the Tools page, click Run Recovery Point Browser.

2. Select a recovery point, and then click Open.

3. In the tree panel of the Recovery Point Browser, select the recovery point.

For example: *C_Drive001.v2i.

4. On the left hand panel, up at top of the hierarchal file and folder tree, highlight, by single left click, on the file name you just opened.

5. On the File menu click, ' Archive Recovery point'.

6. Click the Browse button.

7. In the 'Save in' field at the top of the Save as window, navigate to a different file location other then where the current image is stored; you can also click the create new sub-folder icon to the right of this field.

8. In the 'File name' field at the bottom of the Save as window, enter a different file name then what the current image is using.

9. Click the Save button

10. OPTIONAL; choose one or more of the following

- Check the divide into smaller files for archiving button and select a size below it if you want the new image to be segmented into smaller spans to say store onto DVD's

- Check the radial option besides the compression level if you want to use compression when creating the new compiled image to take up less storage space.

NOTE: A compressed recovery point image will have a greater restore time then an image without compression.

- Check either or both Use password and Encrypt recovery point to add additional security to the image file itself.

11. Click the Ok button to begin the archiving process.