cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues restoring HDD to SSD

JorgeHTN
Level 2

Hi,

I've been having issues while restoring hard drives to solid state drives with SSR 2010 as well as 2011. I am using a brand new 120GB Intel SSD. My process begins with resizing the HDD partition to 100GBs. I then created an image of the C: drive as well as System Reserve (per software's recommendation). I then booted into the SSR 2010 boot disk and choose to restore. Since it is a new SSD i allowed symantec to write the file system.

My settings for the restore were as follows.

System Reserve: Set to restore original disk signature and restore master boot record. Restore to Disk1. (Software showed this would take 100MB)

The C: drive: Set drive to active for booting OS, restore original disk signature, restore master boot record. Restore to Disk1 (Software showed this would take remainder of disk space)

Since i was restoring to a different drive I also checked the restore anywhere option. 

After the restore i rebooted the PC and received MBR missing error. I booted into a Hiren disk and booted into a virtual XP environment to do some troubleshooting. I was able to view the content of the drive and saw that all the Windows and User files seemed to be there. I also used a tool to check the MBR and it showed that it was okay but I was unable to successfully boot the drive.

This issue has happened to me multiple times when restoring an HDD to an SSD. At this point I am nervous to tell customers we can upgrade them to SSDs and move over all their content because of all the issues I've had. If anyone has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have a look here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/restoring-image-bare-ssd-should-i-restore-mbr

criley
Employee Accredited

Can you please confirm the operating system you are restoring here.

The C: drive: Set drive to active for booting os, restore original disk signature, restore master boot record.

This does not sound right to me. Typically, the system reserved partition should be set active. Also, if you select the system index file when restoring, you should not have to make any changes like this. The following article may help:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129112

JorgeHTN
Level 2

Thanks for the response, I am restoring Win7 Professional 32bit.

I did not set the System Reserve Partition to active for booting because I was under the impression that only the image that contains the actual OS (C: drive image) should have the "Set drive active for booting OS" option checked.

criley
Employee Accredited

That is most likely your problem then. Try the restore again and ensure that the system reserved partition is marked as active (by default, it should be).

JorgeHTN
Level 2

Should I also have the OS image (C:) marked as active?

criley
Employee Accredited

No. Only the system reserved should be set active.

JorgeHTN
Level 2

Chris thanks for the suggestions. I did as you instructed and was able to but into the disk but am now running into a different issue. The PC is stuck on "Setup is preparing your computer for first use". I've left it running for a little over an hour and it doesnt seem to be making progress. Restarting leads me to the same screen. Any idea?

criley
Employee Accredited

Glad to hear that you have progressed past the original issue.

Regarding the new issue, can you try waiting longer to see what happens? Leave it for 3-4 hours to see if it progresses further.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here?