cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Symantec BESR Basic Edition

braswell_js
Level 3
Hello all,

I've got 100 copies of BESR Basic Edition. My intent was to be able to back up some Windows XP workstations to my servers, for disaster recovery. I got the software for download from CDW and downloaded BESR 8.5.3 (filename BESRB853_AllWin_Multilingual_Prod.zip ) and another file ( filename BESR853_AllWin_English_SrdOnly.zip). The first issue I am having is when I'm trying to install the license that I obtained from Symantec, ittells me the license isn't valid for this product, which Symantec told me the Serial number and License are valid for that product. it gives me an error code

Error EC8F1C20: Cannot install license. Error EC8F17C8: Invalid serial number: 0141609980002715. Error EC8F17C8: Invalid serial number: 0141609980002715.
Details:
Source: Backup Exec System Recovery

That's the first issue. The second one is regarding a workstation. I tried installing the BESR agent onto a workstation, and it tells me the system has to have a server OS on it. The target machine has to be a server. Basic Edition isn't solely for servers is it? I hope I haven't bought the wrong product. And of course I don't have support for the product (stupid, I know. I didn't realize there was no support...) so I'm turning to you guys for help. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
JB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

marcogsp
Level 6
JB -- I'll try to clear the confusion as best I can.  The installation archive for BESR is the same for both the Server Edition and the Desktop Edition.  There are separate license key series for each respective edition.  It is easy enough to detect whether a PC has a server or workstation operating system in an installation routine.  So, if you try to apply a desktop (workstation) license on a server installation, the license key will fail.  I'm not sure if you can still apply a server license to a desktop installation of BESR.  In the past you could "dumb it down" since the server license is more expensive.  In that case the Symantec isn't truly losing anything, but the customer is wasting their money on licensed features not applicable to a desktop operating system.

When properly licensed and set up, the management console can push out installation packages to the workstations

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

marcogsp
Level 6
As far as I know, BESR comes in three flavors for business users, Server Edititon, Desktop Edition, and Windows Small Business Server edition.  Are you sure you didn't buy one of these editions with the Basic Maintenance package?

With previous editions, it was possible to to install the server edition on a workstation. It was an expensive way to deploy, but it was possible.  I don't know if this still holds true.

In the event that you di\d purchase the wrong version, your first recourse is with your reseller, If you can't come to some arrangement with your reseller, then you should get Symantec Licensing involved with the issue

Jacob_A
Level 6
Employee
If you purchased BESR Basic then the file you downloaded, ,BESRB853_AllWin_Multilingual_Prod.zip,  is incorrect.  You downloaded the full version of BESR, not the more limited Basic version which is limited to specific regions.   Please see the following article for the limitations of BESR Basic:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/313650.htm 

The file you need will have "basic" in the name.

braswell_js
Level 3
I'm a little confused. The version I have says it is basic edition on the top bar. The version I downloaded is for the version that Symantec put on the website as their download. And what does the basic edition not have that the regular edition does? I can't find any information on the Basic Edition, so if you guys know the differences, I'd be grateful. And also if anyone knows where I can go to download the basic edition correctly, please direct me, this issue is holding up my entire project and I need to get it resolved as quickly as I can. Thanks so much.

marcogsp
Level 6
Oh Joy! Another edition of BESR to add to the confusion!  Technotes that will explain the differences:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/313650.htm

Okay, I had to do a rewrite here after reading through this thread again.

I take it the info in the technote below is no longer valid:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/311478.htm

JB -- Is it correct to assume that you downloaded the original file from the CDW site?  If so, then try going to fileconnect.symantec.com.  You will have to enter the serial  number (not the license key) of the product, which usually begins with a letter followed by 10 digits.  It should be on the license certificate you received.   When I went to the fileconnect site, I did not see any downloads with the word basic in it.  Then again I have different licensing than you do, so it may not be one of the choices.  It could be possible that the separate basic edition download was eliminated and the version 8.5.5 download can distinguish a basic edition license key and do an appropriate lockdown at installation time.

Jacob -- Your link comes up as expired or invalid,

marcogsp
Level 6
JB -- When you do get the proper download, it'll be a real joy applying the license key 100 times. Basic eddition does not have the central management capabilities.   I have posted two scripts in the linked post below that should make the job go easier:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/applying-besr-license-unattend

Marco

criley
Employee Accredited
Jacob,

That's not right. The 'B' after 'BESR' in the filename tells me that it's the basic edition...

criley
Employee Accredited
I've just checked and can confirm that there is still a separate download for the basic edition with 8.5.5.

JB - If you send me details of your serial numbers directly (private message) then I can check to see if they are correct.

braswell_js
Level 3
I called Symantec yesterday and checked to see exactly what the license was for, and the tech told me it was for desktop edition!! I'm going to try downloading the desktop edition and installing it, and maybe the license will work for that? This really sucks, I had to email the tech my certificate because they couldn't find my info by customer number, name, order number, serial number showed up as enpoint protection....UGH, this is a nightmare!! Thank you guys for all the help so far, maybe this will fix it, I should know in an hour or so....

braswell_js
Level 3
Okay, I just installed it onto my laptop and it worked just fine.  I don't even begin to understand what that means, I'm guessing it's a generic install that installs it as whatever setup it deems necessary. Hence when I install it onto my server, it installed it as the server edition, and when I installed it on my laptop, it installed it as desktop edition, and that's why I was able to license it? Will it not install onto my server because it's thinking I'm  trying to install BESR Server edition? And does that mean I have to install it onto each workstation, or can I get the management console and install all of them from there?

marcogsp
Level 6
JB -- I'll try to clear the confusion as best I can.  The installation archive for BESR is the same for both the Server Edition and the Desktop Edition.  There are separate license key series for each respective edition.  It is easy enough to detect whether a PC has a server or workstation operating system in an installation routine.  So, if you try to apply a desktop (workstation) license on a server installation, the license key will fail.  I'm not sure if you can still apply a server license to a desktop installation of BESR.  In the past you could "dumb it down" since the server license is more expensive.  In that case the Symantec isn't truly losing anything, but the customer is wasting their money on licensed features not applicable to a desktop operating system.

When properly licensed and set up, the management console can push out installation packages to the workstations

braswell_js
Level 3
I think it should be a little more complicated. Does the management console have the feature for a trusted site to be set up, like the endpoint protection? Right now I don't have the fiber channel drives I want for my backups, so I'd like to split the backups between two servers to save space. I'm sure this requires two licenses, correct? Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to this product....

marcogsp
Level 6
I believe you will need a separate license for each management station you wish to install on.  Not sure about the trusted site setup.  Page 187 of the cuurent manual has more info on the ports that nned to be open in order to communicate across firewalls and security devices

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_System_Recovery_Server_Edition/306334.pdf

braswell_js
Level 3
Just wanted to give everyone a quick response to what happened. This is a very confusing setup and I guess I see how it works now, just want to save everyone else the hassles I experienced. The downloaded version was correct, it was for the basic edition. That version is ambigious with both server and desktop installations available on it. The software installs the appropriate version according to what it finds in the OS of the system, I am guessing. When I was trying to install the software to the server, it installed the server edition, whereas my license is for desktop edition. I only discovered that after calling Symantec, getting the run around, downloading three different packages, and finally getting it to work on a machine running XP. The license file I received stated the product was for Symantec Backup Exec Basic Edition v.8.5.3 for Symantec Endpoint Protection v 3.0. Thanks Symantec, that was fun.