cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License compatibility 7.0 with 8.5?

Chris_Bhatt
Level 3

We currently have a Backup Exec System Recovery 7.04 environment. However, we need to purchase some more licenses in order to image more client servers.

Do we need to buy BESR 7.0 licenses - assuming they can still be purchased or are the 8.5 licenses compatible with BESR 7.0 Server edition?

Thanks,

Chris

5 REPLIES 5

Frederic_Assunc
Level 3
Employee Accredited

The license entries have changed since version 8.0.

It isn't an *.slf file anymore, just a plain serial number.

You should buy current 8.5 licenses and then visit the Customer Care Web Site and ask them to handle your case : http://www.symantec.com/business/support/assistance_information.jsp

Chris_Bhatt
Level 3

Thanks for the response.

Have contacted the customer care team by logging a call 3 days ago but have had no response. Does anyone actually monitor that stack?

Chris

NicholasC
Level 4

It would be necessary to purchase additional licenses.

It is not possible to purchase licenses for version 7.0 anymore.

New licenses would have to be purchased under version 8.5 and these licenses would not be compatible with version 7.0

As far as running a mixed environment of 7.0 and 8.5, of that I am not sure if that is possible.

The best option in this is I would recommend purchasing the additional licenses you need under 8.5, and then upgrading your other 7.0 licenses to 8.5. This can be done for free if you have a support contract correctly attached to those licenses and it was current at the release of 8.5 {October 6, 2008} or you could purchase version upgrades for your 7.0 licenses to get them to version 8.5

One question I also have Chris is that I am in the Customer Care team for North America and before I left for the day {Friday, Dec 19th}, we were caught up on all open cases except for those that were opened "new" on the 19th.

Thus, I find it troubling that you called in and no one has gotten back to you in over 3 day by either email or phone regarding your case. One thing I have seen is that sometimes the emails we send {From: customercare_nam@symantec.com} can get caught by a spam filter. 

Were you given a case number for when you called in? It would be in the format of 9 digits, ###-###-### {for example 111-222-333}.

Yoann
Level 2
Hello NicholasC 

I am in the same trouble with my BESR  licences

I bought 2 licences BESR 7.0 a year ago

I received an email from upgradecenter@symantec.com  to upgrade BESR 8.x:

-----------------------------------

9 novembre 2008 
Numéro de client: xxxxx

ID de notification: BESR8WIN-770098xx-N-24547xx 

-------------------------------------

I did,  bad idea !  impossible to get this working, got always error about volume lock or cannot access files or volumes or disk etc 

I tried uninstall, reinstall etc tips from support , no way , my BESR 7 was running smoothly on same system without any bug, I decided to test BESR 8.52 I

I cleaned all my system from BESR8.x I installed BESR 8.52

and now it works perfect at first try !!

but anyway I cant use my 8.x ugraded licence on it

I have an ugraded licence like this   ( copy that from licencing portal )

-----------------------------

Serial Number: Mxxxxxxxxxx

Product Name: SYMC BACKUP EXEC SYSTEM RECOVERY DESKTOP 8.0 WIN STD LIC EXPRESS BAND A
Licenses: 1
 Product ID (SKU): 13577899
Store: Billing zip code: 06100
 Expiration Date: 8/27/2009

---------------------------------

I didn't find any support on that , or any link to upgrade from 8.x to 8.5x 

on the licence portal you can't go further without  notification ID,  so how i do it now ?

and on symantec store you need to buy 5  licences ( 300$ ) to have an upgrade for BESR desktop edition !!! maybe not fair ?

thanks for help

NicholasC
Level 4

Licenses for version 8.0 of BESR will not work on version 8.5

Did you renew your support contract that you purchased on the BESR 7.0 licenses?

If you can, send me a PM with your customer number and I will see what I can find in our Licensing Database