cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux CENTOS compatibility with SSR 2011 Linux Edition.

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello Guys,

I have never really used Linux. I just installed the Red Hat Enterprise 5.2 in order to have a view of the interface and learn how to navigate.

I have installed SSR 2011 Linux edition.

A client has Linux CENTOS 5 and is about to purchase SSR 2011 Linux edition. I found out that the CENTOS is a flavor of RedHat.

I need to know if the SSR 2011 will work and if there are any differences between the CENTOS and the Red Hat i installed.

thanx.

8 REPLIES 8

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have a look here: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC3913

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Mark,

I already have this document.

I just want to know if the SSR 2011 Linux edition supports CENTOS. I don't see it on the list od system requirements.

Thank you.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Linux CENTOS 5 is not supported at this time. I don't have the roadmap for Linux, so I can't say at this point if or when it will be supported in future versions.

NeerThadarai
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

At this time SSR-L 2011 doesn't officially support any free open source OS for the backup. I believe CENTOS is the free open source for RedHat whereas, RedHat has paid support and upgrade.

Since the look and feel of RedHat and CentOS is the same you can give it a try with SSR-L 2011, however, it wouldn't be officially supported from Symantec as  the CentOS is not tested with SSR-L 2011.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you had a try despite yorur OS is not officially supported ?

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Mark,

I have not tested it yet

I may not recommend it since there will be no support from Symantec. I do not want issues later, even if it works at all

Hesadrian
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hai Mark,

You could just try it, since the SSR LNX edition will recognize all the file system structure of the same Linux flavour that it supports i.e RED HAT.

But, try it with your own consequences since Symantec won't acknowledge and support it at all. In other word, should there are bug, problem or system crash, you can't open case on Symantec Support.

visuthdy
Level 2

Hi,

Has anybody tested on CentOS?  I'm looking for this solution on CentOS as well.

thanks,