cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live State Vs Ghost Suite

Shad_Trombley
Not applicable
Okay, I'm not too knowledgable on the subject, but I know that Live State is used for Disaster Recovery for servers and the such. Our company just purchased Live State Desktop edition and Ghost Solution Suite v1.0. Does anyone know the fundamental difference between the 2? I know what ghost can do as far as recovery and cloning, but I'm not too familiar with Live State . . . Any input would be appreciated . . .
3 REPLIES 3

Mr__Fabietto
Level 4
Employee
Hi Shad,

The main difference between Ghost & LiveState Recovery is that Ghost needs to reboot your machine in order to clone it and LS Recovery does the cloning without rebooting. So, in a way Ghost creates "cold" backups and LS Recovery creates "hot" backups.

Let me know if you have any doubts,

Greetings

Mr. Fabietto
http://spaces.msn.com/fcerullo

Dwight_Vance
Level 2
Shad,
Mr. Fabietto answer is essentially correct. The older versions of Ghost (6.5 and 2003) do need to reboot to create a image. These images will have a .GHO extension. Version 9 & 10 are pretty much the same as LiveState Recovery except they cost about a tenth as much as LiveState and only work on desktops. They create a image file with the extension .v2i.
I had to do a server restore once and the LiveState Recovery CD would not recognize my drives. I tried my Ghost 9 Recovery CD and all the drives were seen and I successfully restored my server.
Dwight Vance

Timothy_Wayper
Not applicable
Employee
There's even more to it that this:

LiveState Recovery is a backup product

Norton Ghost is a backup product (since version 9, based on the same engine as LSR)

Symantec Ghost Solution Suite is a deployment product (which can be good for backups too).

Symantec Ghost does things like post clone configuration, which are essential for deployment, but not required for backup. If you use Ghost to image 100 machines at a time, you don't actually want them to be indentical -- machine names, domain joining and network settings need to be configured automatically. The Ghost console also allows the deployment of applications, and the migration or preservation of user data across a imaging operation.