cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Livestate 7 Manager?

Thomas_Przybyla
Level 3
    When I ran previous versions of Livestate, it had a management application that allowed me to manage all of our livestate-installed servers from one console. I am about to go to the latest release, and I dont' see any centralized management tool> anyone have any input on this? am I looking in the wrong place, etc?
Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

snoopdog
Level 4
Are you referring to Backup Exec System Manager or Livestate Manager. I thought they stopped Livestate at version 6.

Thomas_Przybyla
Level 3
My apologies... I am referring to the newest version of Backup Exec System Recovery. When I ran it in pevious versions (as livestate) it had centralized management of all servers. It was a seperate app. I can't find that app or a central management console for the current version - System Recovery 7.

snoopdog
Level 4
Did you purchase it separately, because it should be a separate purchase.

roninmagik1
Level 3
In the new version, they want to charge you about $1500 to get the management console, which i think is wrong, considering on previous versions, it was a part of the product. 

Rich_L
Level 6
Employee
In all versions (V2i, LiveState, and Backup Exec System Recovery), the Manager product is a separate purchase.  There was the V2i Manager, LiveState Recovery Manager 6.x, and now Backup Exec System Recovery Manager 7.x.

All versions do have the ability to 'manage' other machines, by adding them into an existing console.  Managing another machine through the standard console does have some limitations.  Generally the limit is around 30 machines.  The Manager limitation is based on the machine it is installed on, with a theoretical limit of around 2500 machines.

Once LSR/BESR has been installed on each machine, go to the machine that will be manage the others.  Open the standard console and then add each of the other machines to the console.  In BESR 7, this is on the top horizontal menu.  Click on the Computer menu drop down and select 'Add...'.  In the Add Remote Computer field, type in the remote machines IP address.  Each machine added will show under the Computer menu list and can be individually selected (and managed) one at a time.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Rich L

roninmagik1
Level 3
Thanks for the reply Rich, but in the 6.x version, you could see all the computers that you added at the same time.  So it was very easy to get an overview of all the servers and to see if there were any stuck jobs.  In the new 7.x version, you have to choose one server at a time, and there is no way that i know of to get a broad overview of how the servers are doing.  So upgrading from 6 to 7 in that respect was actually a downgrade.   If i'm missing something please let me know!

Thanks,

Jason 

snoopdog
Level 4
Well as far as I know that is the way 7 is. Irritating to say the least, since my management software is buggy at best.

Rich_L
Level 6
Employee

Jason,

roninmagik1 wrote:

Thanks for the reply Rich, but in the 6.x version, you could see all the computers that you added at the same time.  So it was very easy to get an overview of all the servers and to see if there were any stuck jobs.  In the new 7.x version, you have to choose one server at a time, and there is no way that i know of to get a broad overview of how the servers are doing.  So upgrading from 6 to 7 in that respect was actually a downgrade.   If i'm missing something please let me know!

Thanks,

Jason 

Unfortunately, you are not missing something.  It is correct that in the 7.x version, you can only see one computer at a time in the standard console. 

BESR 8 version standard console will function the same.