Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Restore AnyWare instructions

Richard_FDisk
Level 4
I've got an older Win2K IBM craptop with BESR 6.52 installed
that the HDD just bombed on me,
this system is too old to bother fixing, because it has some other hardware issues also,
Bad Keyboard (some keys get stuck a lot),
Battery is roasted,
CMOS Battery also fried,
BIOS won't support a new HDD, etc.

I have another system that's just idle right now, (I only start it to get the win updates & keep the security updated, etc.)

There are applications on the craptop that I don't have the disks for and still need to use them

I have 2 full images from that machine, (hope at least one is good)

so my request is simple;

> when I do the restore to other hardware what is the best procedure using Restore AnyWare 
to avoid wasting hours or even days of retrying

the only similarity between the systems is that they're both in the same processor class just one is slightly faster
everything else is totally different

one major issue is, the craptop never came with any CDs,
will the restore be asking for the OS CD to install / update the drivers for the MB & supported Hardware?

Any help before I start this is Appreciated;
as I don't have a spare HDD for either system I will backup the current installation on the spare system
and remove the current installation and restore the Image from the craptop
so I can get access to the applications & programs etc installed on it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Richard_FDisk
Level 4
thanks for answering;

I already have the same users and Admin. accounts on all machines but the workgroup name is not the default name
so the SRD has no access to networked resources, all of the shares are inaccessable because the SRD uses "Work Group" and it can't be changed and my work group is not called "Work Group"
Also, work groups don't work the same as a domain, there's no master admin account like the domain admin account on a domain, all user and admin accounts are local only user accounts in a work group, and only have access to the local system and  shared resources, (shared drives, folders, files & printers).

The only 2 ways to solve it wirhout buggering up the rest of the network is to:
a> pull the HDD out and pre-partition it with another machine and then put the backup image onto a logical drive of the extended partition and then delete the primary partition and reinstall it back into the system, and restore the system from the local copy of the image

b> partition the disk, do a windows install, join the workgroup, move the image file to a logical drive on the extended partition, restart the system with the windows CD and delete the primary partition, then cancel the windows install and put the SRD into the drive and restore system

both of these methods only work from start to finish, if the restore fails you can't just delete the primary partition again because the extended partition info doesn't show up in the recovery environment the second time around unless they're deleted and recreated starting from scratch every time

"A" works best for a brand new replacement HDD and "B" is easier than pulling a disk that's already installed in the system, even though I could pull and partition and reinstall a disk in about the same amount of time it takes to get to the screen where windows wants the key on the COA..

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

AJT
Level 6
See https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-restore-anyware-restore-anywhere you can also search this forum for additional information on "Restore Anyware". On the machine you are recovering to you'll need a CD drive.

Hope This Helps :)

Richard_FDisk
Level 4
I can't access my work group nor the backup

now what,
I just got screwed out of two machines?

AJT
Level 6
Why can't you access your backup?

Richard_FDisk
Level 4
Backup to the network works fine
but I can never restore from the network because it's Peer network not Domain
I never use the default work group name of windows
The BESR recovery environment can't change the workgroup name
- which means I have no access to network resources where the images are stored.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I would recommend you setup an admin username and password for the workgroup, and make sure the BESR services use these credentials. That would mean creating that same account on each computer, but this is one of the only ways I've seen to do it. From the SRD, then access the share using \\IP Address\share and that should work.

Richard_FDisk
Level 4
thanks for answering;

I already have the same users and Admin. accounts on all machines but the workgroup name is not the default name
so the SRD has no access to networked resources, all of the shares are inaccessable because the SRD uses "Work Group" and it can't be changed and my work group is not called "Work Group"
Also, work groups don't work the same as a domain, there's no master admin account like the domain admin account on a domain, all user and admin accounts are local only user accounts in a work group, and only have access to the local system and  shared resources, (shared drives, folders, files & printers).

The only 2 ways to solve it wirhout buggering up the rest of the network is to:
a> pull the HDD out and pre-partition it with another machine and then put the backup image onto a logical drive of the extended partition and then delete the primary partition and reinstall it back into the system, and restore the system from the local copy of the image

b> partition the disk, do a windows install, join the workgroup, move the image file to a logical drive on the extended partition, restart the system with the windows CD and delete the primary partition, then cancel the windows install and put the SRD into the drive and restore system

both of these methods only work from start to finish, if the restore fails you can't just delete the primary partition again because the extended partition info doesn't show up in the recovery environment the second time around unless they're deleted and recreated starting from scratch every time

"A" works best for a brand new replacement HDD and "B" is easier than pulling a disk that's already installed in the system, even though I could pull and partition and reinstall a disk in about the same amount of time it takes to get to the screen where windows wants the key on the COA..

DaveT
Level 4
Partner
This option may be overkill, but I've used it for a couple of Servers that were (literally) falling apart.

Could you install VMWare, create a Virtual Machine, and restore the BESR Backup to the VM?

As I said, this may be overkill, but it is a simple process and it's worked for me on several occasions.

DaveT
Level 4
Partner
I need to clarify something, the VM would be created on a machine (Laptop/PC/Server) that is currently running.

Richard_FDisk
Level 4
Thanks for the idea,

but neither system meets minimum requirements for installing any VM package;

The craptop: IBM i1412: Celeron 233MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB HDD(Fried, won't boot at all);

The system restored to: Dell Dimension L433c: Celeron 433MHz; 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD;

After much screwing around with partitions etc. I managed to get the image to restore to the HDD but only to the screen inaccessible boot device; after about 10+ more hours, I found some option on the  SRD to wipe the registry of all the previous hardware config. then the system finally booted into windows setup final stage where it creates the hardware profile.