cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manage backup destinations>Delete recovery point does not delete files?

BJB
Level 5

I have a simple maintenance question.  I wanted to properly delete a very old backup/restore point/image, whatever it is called.  It was an independent image of a PC drive with the image stored on a NAS.

I used SSR to go into advanced, right clicked the drive letter and found the restore point I wanted.  It matched the name, date, etc. of the one I wanted to delete.  I right clicked and chose delete, then chose yes.

It disappeared from the SSR lists but the backup files are still there on the NAS.  So I deleted manually....but I would have thought SSR have deleted the files but perhaps this is a safety feature.

Thanks,

BJB

7 REPLIES 7

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Yep it should have been deleted automatically.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any questions still open?

BJB
Level 5

Well, other than it definitely did not do that! :)

So an open issue on my side, and hopefully with Symantec.  But I guess the question is answered....

No error, it said to confirm the delete and it did not.

Getting concerned with SSR stability.  Still trying to resolve (yes I have a case) why a 100% verified backup won't restore..... and now this.

At least this confirms what it is supposed to do.  Perhaps someone at Symantec can test that function with a backup on a NAS. Not mapped as a drive letter, just referred to as //XXX.

BJB

BJB
Level 5

I can confirm that it correctly deleted the instance in SSR AND the actual image file when using a USB-attached external drive. Perhaps the issue is only with network drives...

BJB

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Lucky you, may I ask you to mark this post as solved then?

BJB
Level 5

It is solved for USB drives.  It is not solved when working with a NAS.

So not sure what that means. If forum protocol is to marked solved, I will.....

However I do think it needs to work with both NAS drives and USB external drives.

BJB

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

I case you want to dig deeper into that, you need to file a case for the NAS side of the issue. Otherwise please mark as solved.