cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapping a network drive during restore

John_Small
Level 2

I'm using Norton Save and Restore, which apparently uses the code from BESR. I have a problem when restoring using the CDRom/ISO image. I reboot from it, that works, then I want to restore from a complete backup of a C: drive on a dead machine, which is what the product promises it can do, so I go to map the network drive where the recovery point is set and ... I can't get it to map. It sees the network and I can select the share, but the OK button is never activated. I understand that you're required to have a user name and password for the share, so I set that up, my other Windows machines can see it, connect to it and see the contents, but NSR refuses to have anything to do with it. 

So it doesn't do what it says on the tin, i.e allow you to back up from a saved restore point. How are you supposed to get to a restore point on a network? 

7 REPLIES 7

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Open a command prompt and attempt to map a drive using the NET USE commands.

As a test, you can download a trial copy of BESR recovery CD from the Symantec web site. This may have updated drivers on it for your card. Boot to that and try again. This should tell you if it is an issue with that version of a recovery CD. I am not sure what version of Save and REstore you are using coincides with a particular version of BESR. You may want to post this same question to the Norton Ghost forum

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, maybe there is a problem related to NTLM authentication ? Try to set the following registry key http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc960646.aspx to 0

John_Small
Level 2

Ok, once I'd found the route to get a command line I could get a connection. Now I've got a different problem. It doesn't recognise the saved backups. 

Luckily I'm only having to do this for backward compatability. I'm shifting everything I can to Linux where backup and restore is a lot simpler.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you create an image (aka: cold image) from the recovery CD, it is not tracked in the history file. Is that what you are referring to?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here ?