cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate from platter hard drive to SSD

softdev
Level 3

I use SSR 2013 R1 on a Windows 7 PC.  I want to replace the 320GB hard drive with a SATA 2.5" SSD.  Can I just install the new SSD and recover from my last backup?  I am considering the Crucial MX300 SSD 525GB.

5 REPLIES 5

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, that should work.

Or you can use the 'copy my hard drive' feature.

That's great news. 

Will I need to worry about partition "alignment" issues afterwards? 

criley
Employee Accredited

Not really. By default the restore should retain the original volume sizes and leave the rest of the space as unallocated.

Or there is an option during restore to resize the volume if that is what you choose to do.

I installed a Crucial MX300 and then restored my latest image to the new drive.  The restore ran and didn't report any problem, but I could not boot from the installed image.  Status: 0xc000000e "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccesible". 

I used my original Windows install to run a repair, which did not work initially.  After several tries it did boot and then failed to boot on a subsequent try.  I ran the repair again several more times and now it boots. 

Any advice for those who follow and how to avoid this problem?  Were there specific options I should have used to avoid this?  Thanks

criley
Employee Accredited

Did you do a restore or use the copy my hard drive option? If you did a restore, please confirm the steps you used and which partitions you restored.

There are several different articles for that error code:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/search-results.html?product=&keyword=0xc000000e