cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating 2 new backup server; want to keep all existing backups and tape library data

kevndurbn
Level 2

I realize this probably isn't how it is supposed to be done, but it is what it is......  anyhow, we have a backup server running Server 2003R2 and 11.d with attached HP MSA-60 7TB disk array and TL4000 tape library.....  what we plan to do is swap from a Dell server to an HP server, and at the same time upgrade to 12.5 while at the same time keeping all existing backup data from the array and the tape library.   I have the 11.d admin guide, but the closest thing I can find about this are vague references to IDR.  From what I'm reading, it appears we probably need to upgrade to 12.5 on the existing server first.......??  after that, I'm all ears.....

1 REPLY 1

kevndurbn
Level 2

Ok, this is my 4th ##$%@# time trying to post this in IE; if you don't "wait" until the page loads all the way and you hit maybe a backspace key, you get shot back a page and start over.  Cra## design; I digress.....

Bottom line from our Symantec reseller; IDR is for recovering BE to SAME hardware.  Dissimilar hardware recovery for BE is supported by another Symantec product (Oh yay!) called BE System Recovery 8.5 but we don't have the licensing for that at this point.

We still need to accomplish this procedure, but without the additional licensing costs; I'm being told this is possible without using the BE System Recovery program, so here we are.....lol