cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating an old Poweredge 1600 using BESR

Edward_W
Not applicable

I have a PowerEdge 1600 server that is using a PERC 4/SC SCSI controller in a RAID 1 configuration. (i.e. old stuff circa 2003 or so).

It is an Windows 2003 SBS Server which is our domain controller and exchange server.

The RAID array is only 64gigs and is almost full so I have ordered some 174 gig replacement drives (two of them).  I need to migrate the OS/data/etc from the 64 gig drives to the 174 gig drives (resizing the C-drive partition in the process).

My plan was to use our copy of Backup Exec System Recovery 8.5 to create a full backup to a USB drive, then remove the 64 gig SCSI array (the machine can only run 2 drives at a time I think?), create a new RAID 1 array with the two 174 gig drives, and then use the BESR Recovery Disk to boot up, access the USB drive, and restore the computer to the new larger blank array.  I've read in this forum about how if I restore one partition at a time, I can resize the destination and hence scale my C partition.

The problem is.. my PERC 4/SC drivers on the machine are dated 12/11/2003.  I don't know if a PERC 4/SC driver actually exists that will talk with Symantec BESR 8.5 so that I can see the RAID array to restore to it?  I've read that I need a 2007 or 2008 driver for BESR to talk to the controller but I have had zero luck finding such a thing.  The newest driver I can find for a PERC 4/SC on Dell's website is dated 2005.

Can anyone please advise on options available to me?  I need to get the data from the 64 gig drives to the 174 gig drives (resizing the C and D partitions in the process) and I really don't care how I accomplish it (but I don't have a "test server" - this is a live server with critical data I will be taking offline on a Saturday).

Thanks for any advice,  Edward

2 REPLIES 2

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

If you can get access to a BESR 7 SRD, you could use Win XP/2003 drivers. Or find a compatible Vista/W2k8 Driver for BESR 8

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

What drivers can you find on the Dell web. Can you find 2003 drivers?