cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Wizard for LightsOut

Caltorography
Level 4

Hi,

Please could you help me?  I'm an educator whose trying to save some funds.  I'm still using Veritas 16.  It is EOL, but works fine so far.  Putting off as long as I can the cost of the upgrade.

I'm trying to set up the LightsOut feature.  I've done it before.  But, somehow, I can't find it in the options.  I recall it was kind of buried in another setting.  But, I just can't seem to locate it.  I even did a full disk search for the phrase LightsOut.  

Please if any of you are familiar with this reliable older version, can you point me in the right direction?

Sincerely,

Cal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

FOUND it!  I needed to use the create a customized recovery disk.  The create LOR option is within this process.  I've now got one created and offered at startup.  Tested the option, and it works! :D

THANKS for all the help!!!

Sincerely,

Cal

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Looking at the attached screenshot there is only the option to remove LOR, so are you locally logged on to a machine where LOR is already installed? Maybe you need to logon on to the machine where you want to install LOR?

Hello Markus,

Thanks for your kind reply!

I saw that, too - and had a similar assumption .  That's what's so curious.  In this question we learned how to get rid of the LOR by clicking that remove option we see in the attachment: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/System-Recovery/Get-Rid-of-a-Lights-Out-Restore-That-Appears-at-Startup/m...

And!  It worked - I no longer see the LOR at startup.  I wonder if...the LOR is still somehow on the disk?  So that Windows is not showing it at login as before, but it still remains on the drive and is suppressing the next LOR creation.

If so, is there any way for me to look at the SSD and see the LOR installation, and maybe delete it?

I tried clicking the remove again.  Still, it keeps popping up as an option.

Or, any other ideas?

Sincerely,

Cal

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

It creates a separate partition as far as I know, so maybe diskpart will answer your question.

Hi Markus,

Oh, gosh!  I see SIX Recovery partitions?!! :(...

What does this look like to you?

Sincerely,

Cal

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

One of the recovery partitions I suppose. I think you can assign a drive letter and peek into that partition to see wheter LOR is installed or not.

Hi Markus,

Any links for how to assign a letter and peek?  Better yet - any free tools that handle all that?

What files, filenames or items inside the  partitions would be strong indicators that the partition was a LOR / Veritas-created one?

Sincerely,

Cal

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

For example like this:

WIN+X, Run PS (Admin)

type: diskpart

list disk

select disk N ( N = disk with RECOVERY partition number)

list vol

select vol N ( N = RECOVERY volume number)

assign letter=d

Regarding your second question: As I've never used LOR I don't know that, sorry.

Hi Markus,

Got it.  I'll give it a try.

You mentioned peeking inside - what would be the easiest way to do that?  I mean - in Windows explorer just type

D:\

and press enter, if the drive letter assigned was D.

Sincerely,

Cal  

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Correct.

FOUND it!  I needed to use the create a customized recovery disk.  The create LOR option is within this process.  I've now got one created and offered at startup.  Tested the option, and it works! :D

THANKS for all the help!!!

Sincerely,

Cal