cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mixing BESR with BE 10d

James_Allcock
Level 4
We currently have a licensed version of Backup Exec 10d doing our server backups, including Exchange. We've looked at IDR and haven't been able to get it to work satisfactorily. We're now looking at BESR to quickly get our servers back online in the event of a failure.

Our BE plan involves 1 weekly full backup, then incrementals every day. We've tested BESR on Exchange and found that it truncated the logs, which made the BE incremental job fail with this error:

V-79-57344-33944 - Incremental and differential backups are not possible because one or more of the Microsoft Exchange transaction log files has been deleted since the last backup.

It looks like BE 10d is more flexible for operations such as restoring 1 mailstore.

So, how do we use BESR to make OS-type backups and continue to use BE 10d to backup mailstores?
2 REPLIES 2

Clifton_Hasting
Level 3
Hi James,

I looked at IDR as well, it's pretty much useless from what I could tell.

The only option you have is to do full backups of the Storage Group through 10d because as you said, backing up the server through BESR flushes the transaction logs just as doing a full backup through 10d does.

I do full backups of the Storage Group nightly in addition to BESR anyway just because the Exchange Databases are so funny, it's worth it to me to have the full backup in the BESR image and in 11d just to cover myself both ways.

If your database crashes or corrupts, as mine did recently, you will be happy you have both.

Message Edited by Clifton Hastings on 11-30-2007 11:10 AM

Rich_L
Level 6
Employee
James,

Switch roles of your backups.  Have BE take the Weekly Full and BESR do a Weekly Full w/Incrementals daily.

Also for Exchange, check out Backup Exec System Recovery Exchange Retrieve (BEER) 7.0.  BEER can do the granular restore of an exchange mailbox.
One known issue with BEER is the restore of attachments fails.  This will be resolved in BEER 7.0.2, which should be available in the coming weeks.