cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Backup Data - Very, very slow network transfer

TKHC
Level 2

I've observed this now with a couple versions of SSR and in varying environments; 2011 and 2013 R2 so far, and I see a few other posts discussing some very poor network performance on the part of SSR.

I had to move some recovery points (19GB) from local attached storage to a network share using the Move Backup Data function under Manage Backup Destination. This process has taken several hours over a Gb network link with low latency. Task Manager/Perf Monitor show NIC utlization barely goes above 1%, in fact it's often 0.6% to 0.8% on the source server.

Current environment: SSR 2013 R2 on a 2008 R2 server (2Gb teamed NIC), moving data to a network share on another 2008 R2 server (single Gb NIC). If I copy a random file using Windows Explorer from the same source disk to the same destination share the NIC utilization goes through the roof and almost maxes out. Why is SSR chugging along at a snail's pace?

5 REPLIES 5

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Good question, let me escalate it to support for you.

criley
Employee Accredited

I'm looking into this. Will update you on my findings soon ...

criley
Employee Accredited

I was able to reproduce this and raised the issue with our engineering team. They say this needs further investigation. I cannot say how long that investigation will take though.

I'll report back here as and when I get some feedback on this.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Chris, any news on this?

criley
Employee Accredited

No, no news. I would not expect any news anytime soon I'm afraid - this is not something that has high priority as far as engineering are concerned ...