cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a Custom SRD ISO Modification Tool

gilgamesh-aus
Level 4

Due to a quirk in my system I'm looking to modify my custom SRD iso image after it has been created by SSR.

My quirk is I have a gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 motherboard which has a Marvell SATA controller. I have disks on this controller in both RAID0 and AHCI. If I include the Marvell RAID driver in my Custom SRD then for some reason the AHCI disks don't appear when booting the SRD. My solution is to use the "Load Driver" feature to load the RAID and AHCI drivers after the SRD boots; which seems to work OK. I'm using SSR 2013 SP2.

What I want to do is modify the custom SRD ISO to include a directory with my drivers so it is easy to get to them.

I have previously used UltraISO to modify my ISO images but this seems to strip UEFI boot support off the SRD image (I've tested, the standard custom SRD image does have UEFI and works but after using UltraISO it doesn't).

My system is configured for UEFI booting only with no Legacy BIOS support. My MB is capable of Legacy support but if it is enabled it won't boot into my RAID0 UEFI OS, it will only boot to a AHCI DR partition I have.

So I was hoping someone could recommend an alternative ISO image modification tool that correctly keeps the UEFI boot details on the custom SRD.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gilgamesh-aus
Level 4

Someone suggested I look at this http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/anybody-gotten-the-dvd-to-boot-uefi/82677329-a861-4060-866b-3eacb60a8b38

With a little fiddling around it made my custom SRD with extra directories UEFI bootable. So while I have an SSR solution I will look elsewhere for a general purpose ISO editing tool.

Thanks for the suggestions.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

criley
Employee Accredited

What I want to do is modify the custom SRD ISO to include a directory with my drivers so it is easy to get to them.

Why not just have your SRD on USB? Then you can just copy any additional drivers as and when needed.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

You need to mount the WIM file, add the directory there.

gilgamesh-aus
Level 4

Why not just have your SRD on USB? Then you can just copy any additional drivers as and when needed.

I actually also have SRD on USB and it does work well. I just like having backups, even backups of my backup software wink

gilgamesh-aus
Level 4

You need to mount the WIM file, add the directory there.

But to edit with WIM file (yes I have done it before (once)) would also require me to write the modified WIM back into my ISO image, which using UltraISO removes the UEFI.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Yep, thats clear - you need to manually build the ISO rather then just editing. Do you know how to do this?

criley
Employee Accredited

Sorry, not sure I follow smiley

It seems to me that you can achieve what you need by using a USB SRD...

gilgamesh-aus
Level 4

And there are times when the USB gets misplaced (though I maintain gremlins have moved it wink) and I want a CD I can use in its place. It's a matter of having redundancy of my backup software using a different media in case my system is completely dead and I have troubles restoring.

gilgamesh-aus
Level 4

you need to manually build the ISO rather then just editing. Do you know how to do this?

mmm - I will have to do some googling to find the right instructions for this.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Ok, if you would speak german, I had a checklist at hand.

criley
Employee Accredited

So I think the same would apply then....copy the drivers on to the CD, then create the SRD.

However, I've never tested this so I'm not sure if the SRD creation will overwrite existing data.

gilgamesh-aus
Level 4

Someone suggested I look at this http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/anybody-gotten-the-dvd-to-boot-uefi/82677329-a861-4060-866b-3eacb60a8b38

With a little fiddling around it made my custom SRD with extra directories UEFI bootable. So while I have an SSR solution I will look elsewhere for a general purpose ISO editing tool.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Lucky you, please mark this post as solved !