cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help in installing BESR 2010 agent ?

Symanticus
Level 6
Hi All,

So far I've been installing BESR 2010 in my Windows Server that i want to backup (performing self backup), However I'm just wondering if i can perform Media Server - Agent backup method ?

I could not find the way to deploy agent remotely from the BESR 2010 server ?

Can anyone please shed some light here ?

Note:
This is what I can see and download from my Fileconnect:

BESR_2010_9.0.1.36527_English_Recovery_Disk_Only.zip
BESR_2010_9.0.1.36527_Multilingual_Product.zip
BESR_2010_9.0.1.36532_Management_Solution.zip --> where to install this ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Khalid_Mashaykh
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi Albert,

actually you can push the BESR either by mgmnt console or by the BESR itself, the secound screenshot shows how to do this:
  • Open the BESR 2010 console.
  • Goto Computers menu and choose add and type the computer name.
  • then the screenshot consloe will be appear choose the deploy agent and type the credentials then OK.
  • make sure to uncheck "restart server when finished" if you not want to reboot the server immediately but you have to reboot the server to backup it.

regarding the mgmnt console yes you can use it deploy the install and manage the servers.

Thank you
Khaled Mashaykh
Amman - Jordan

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

markuskoestler
Level 3
The Management Solution is the successor of the BESR Manager Componenten. Mong others this component allows you to push the agent to other servers or desktops. Using only the BESR2010 server I think there is no way to install the agent on a remote server. But of course you can simply copy the programm to the remote server and install only the agent by using the appropriate MSI Installer Parameters.

Linas
Level 6
I am currently testing BESR2010
And yes when you install BESR2010 it installs Altiris management and this deploys automatically to the whole network I found out after several complaints from users
Apparently it’s a silent install and reboots after install without any user notification
I finally stopped it after 100 desktops and servers got the agent installed
Also there is a problem with the management server clients are backing up but the management server in not aware of this and reports the desktops at risk because it thinks backups are not running
Support can’t seem to fix I have several cases open since March 11th
They call check a setting and tell me they need to consult with a backlight?
A day or 2 later they call agene to no result

criley
Employee Accredited

Albert,

Yes, you can deploy the agent using a 'master' BESR 2010 server. Please refer to Page 107 of the user guide for more details.

User guide:

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_System_Recovery_Server_Edition/336194.pdf

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question ***

Khalid_Mashaykh
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi Albert,

... I could not find the way to deploy agent remotely from the BESR 2010 server ? ...

You can deploy BESR agent by click on computer tab of the BESR 2010 console then choose add computer,click OK.

the console will try to connect to this computer then will failed with " This program is unable to connect and communicate with ....."

Click deploy agent and enter a domain admininistrator user name and password, uncheck (restart the computer) if you not want to reboot it immediately. (see the attached screenshot 1.jpg)

-----------

Regarding the "BESR_2010_9.0.1.36532_Management_Solution.zip ", its like the old BESR manager but this time it is based on Altiris notification server and not stand alone solution, so you need to know the basic in Altiris notification server to deal with it (see the attached screenshot 2.jpg).

Best regards,
Khaled Mashaykh
Amman - Jordan

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question ***

Symanticus
Level 6
Thanks for the reply,
Where is the screenshot mate :o ?

Khalid_Mashaykh
Level 4
Partner Accredited

First photo shows the BESR 2010 Managmant Solution which is based on Altiris Notfication server and the secound shows how to deploy agent for BESR :) 

Symanticus
Level 6
Ah Ok,

Thanks for your reply Khaled,

So i must install the BESR mgmt console first to push install and manage the remote agent ?

Khalid_Mashaykh
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi Albert,

actually you can push the BESR either by mgmnt console or by the BESR itself, the secound screenshot shows how to do this:
  • Open the BESR 2010 console.
  • Goto Computers menu and choose add and type the computer name.
  • then the screenshot consloe will be appear choose the deploy agent and type the credentials then OK.
  • make sure to uncheck "restart server when finished" if you not want to reboot the server immediately but you have to reboot the server to backup it.

regarding the mgmnt console yes you can use it deploy the install and manage the servers.

Thank you
Khaled Mashaykh
Amman - Jordan

Symanticus
Level 6
Wow, i didn't knew it before :o

Thanks for your reply man.

I shall uninstall the existing installation of BESR2010 in all of my server.

Does the 8.5 agent can be used with the BESR2010 console ?

ProductPro
Level 4
Employee Accredited
From BESR2010 Management Solution, you can push an agent to a client to initiate communication between the console and the client/target machine.
When you open the stand-alone client BESR software and Add a computer, this installs a Symantec agent.
The Major difference between the two methods is the BESR agent is essentially a remote console to the target device.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/351339

http://support.veritas.com/docs/350798

Symanticus
Level 6
@ProductPro: thanks for your explanation mate, however does the backup also generate the same .sv2i file ? eg. can be restored as VM or bare metal restore as whole image backup ?