cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need info about BESR

giorgiobusoni
Level 5

I have been using symantec BESR 8.5 for a very long time and I' very happy with it. But not I've migrated all my desktops to win7 and my server to win 2008 R2, all 64bit. I'm thinking to buy BESR 2010, but I need some informations:

1.I have a server running hyper-v with 6-7 VM running on it, all with win server 2008 R2, and about 5 desktops. Do I need a licence for each VM and each desktop? or is there some value pack?

2.What's the difference between Backup exec and backup exec system recovery? I saw that there are some plug-ins for backup exec, sutch as for exchange and for hyper-v, while there aren't for BESR server edition, why?

3.Where can I buy thos products? In the Itaian online store there is no such product, the web site tells me that desktop edition was available on online store but there isn't

To be more exact about questions 1-2: I have the server running Hyper-V, and many VM on it. I whant to protect the physical server and all the VM. One of the VM has Exchange 2010. And I have some desktops. What configurations would you suggest me? What licences do I need? I what to be able to manage all the backups centrally, so I'll need also BESR manager I suppose, but how many other licences do I need, and of what kind?

And finally, I read that BESR manager 2010 doesn't run on win 2008. When a new version running of 2008 is going to be released? I think that maybe I'll wait for it to buy all the licences

9 REPLIES 9

criley
Employee Accredited

1.I have a server running hyper-v with 6-7 VM running on it, all with win server 2008 R2, and about 5 desktops. Do I need a licence for each VM and each desktop? or is there some value pack?

Have a look at the BESR Virtual Edition: http://www.symantec.com/business/backup-exec-system-recovery-virtual-edition

2.What's the difference between Backup exec and backup exec system recovery? I saw that there are some plug-ins for backup exec, sutch as for exchange and for hyper-v, while there aren't for BESR server edition, why?

They are 2 very different products. BESR is primarily designed for DR and is a disk-based only solution. If you want/need to backup to tape, you will need Backup Exec (BE). BE is more powerful in terms of granular restore for databases (Exchange, SQL etc) and virtual environments (ESX, Hyper-V). However, BESR is a cheaper solution. It really depends on what your requirements are.

In terms of what licenses you need, I would suggest you speak with our sales teams (I'm not a licensing expert).

And finally, I read that BESR manager 2010 doesn't run on win 2008. When a new version running of 2008 is going to be released? I think that maybe I'll wait for it to buy all the licences

That's correct, the management solution (BESR-MS) does not currently support 2008 but support for this is coming early next year.

Hope that helps.

giorgiobusoni
Level 5

OK I think that BESR is better for me, as I have a small office and backup only on disk.

I have seen the BESR virtual, but seems to expensive to afford (2000 euros) is there any cheaper solution? I think it costs a lot because a Hyper-v machine can have more that 100Vm but mine is a small hper-v server...

How do i contact sales team?

criley
Employee Accredited

How do i contact sales team?

http://www.symantec.com/business/contact_sales.jsp

virtualguy101
Level 2

Chris,

BE is more powerful in terms of granular restore for databases (Exchange, SQL etc) and virtual environments (ESX, Hyper-V).

Can you explain your above comment pls and how you/Symantec can say that BE is more powerful?

I dont get it?

Thanks

criley
Employee Accredited

There is much more functionality with BE when compared to BESR - too much to go into here.

I would recommend that you read up on what BE can do:

http://www.symantec.com/business/products/agents_options.jsp?pcid=pcat_business_cont&pvid=57_1

BE has agents for ESX, Hyper-V, Exchange, SQL etc.

It really depends on what your requirements are as to what product you decide to use.

Let me know if you need anything clarified.

giorgiobusoni
Level 5

ok, I'll contact them

But, for the Hyper-v server, do I need to install both BESR server edition to protect the host machine and the BESR virtual edition to rpotect the guests machines, or does the virtual edition cover to host machine too?

Mjahtetn
Level 6

Sales phone number in US: 1800 745 6054 option 3

giorgiobusoni
Level 5

I'm from Italy

Mjahtetn
Level 6

I believe there is no direct Symantec Sales departmernt for Italy.  Though you can try to contact a reseller instead. Try the partner locator website...

http://partnerlocator.symantec.com/public/search;locale=en-us;country=Italy;v=advanced_results;proxi...