cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to know if linux agent can backup to N/W shared server like a BESR-MS with Windows 2003.

Jeongran
Level 3
Employee Accredited
Need to know if linux agent can backup to N/W shared server like a BESR-MS with Windows 2003.

BESR-MS(2003 server)
BESR Agent for Linux(Redhat 5.3)

I have installed the Altiris 7.0 Linux agent and Linux BESR to a Linux server. BESR-MS can show the agetn state. . Can linux agent  backup to N/W shared server like a BESR-MS with Windows 2003?  And can you provide a document on how to?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited
The Linux version of BESR does not accept policies so you must use a task to schedule the backup. Also remember that you can only do full backups on Linux, no incrementals with the current version.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, this can be done.

You will need to mount the windows share as a local mount point, for example:

mount -t smbfs -o username=mywindowsusername,password=mywindowspassword //servername/sharename /mountdirectory

This can then be used as the backup destination.

Also, be aware of this:

You need to enable the "lfs" option to be able to copy files bigger than 2Gb in the remote destination.
Now you can mount samba shares with large file support by giving the "lfs" option to smbmount, e.g. like this:
smbmount //remoteserver/backup /mnt/backup -o username=admin,password=mypassword,lfs

Jeongran
Level 3
Employee Accredited
Thanks for the your answer.

Now,  I can check backuped state of Linux server via BESR-MS.
Can Linux server managed by backup policy from  BESR-MS ?
If so, can you provide a document on how to?

criley
Employee Accredited
The Linux version of BESR does not accept policies so you must use a task to schedule the backup. Also remember that you can only do full backups on Linux, no incrementals with the current version.

Hope that helps.

Jeongran
Level 3
Employee Accredited

I really appreciate your clear comments.

criley
Employee Accredited

No problem. Please mark as solved then..!