cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Boot Recovery

salamz
Level 4
Partner

I am using BESR 2010 standalone desktop edition. I would like to ask is there any way i can use recovery cd to boot from network. as on my some of PC CD Rom are not installed.
so how can i use recovery cd to boot from network.

Plz Help me!!!!!!!!!

Regards
Saqib Alam
12 REPLIES 12

kaman
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified
use external cd roomcheekyyes

kaman
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified
try same method what you use to install any window from network may be it works...

salamz
Level 4
Partner

I cant use External CD Rom so i need to boot it from Network. 
@ Kamran u mean to say that i use Pre Boot Windows Environment  as i use to do for installing Windows i tried that but no success.
So can any one help me out in thiz regards.

salamz
Level 4
Partner

Any Update ????????????

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Do you have console access of your client machine? In that case you may attach media ISO as virtual cd rom and try network boot for that client.
We do suggest one of these booting mechanism in case of NBU-BMR.
My 2c.

Thanks.
-Mandar

salamz
Level 4
Partner

Well Mandar

I know about NBU BMR bt in my case i m saying that i m using BESR 2010. there is  a Recovery cd come with BESR , i dnt hve cd rom in my system nor i dnt wnt to boot it from xternal cd rom, and one more thing that BESR recovery cd use Pxe Envrionment to boot 

so that question is that can i put it on PXE server and boot my system using network boot.

Regards

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

AFAIK, BESR 2010 does not support PXE NW boot based restore.

Thanks.

-Mandar

Parag_2
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I think it is possible with Lights out restore feature of BESR but it will also require PCAnywhere license.

Other option is if you don't have CDROM in all machines, you can create SRD USB also.

Refer below article for the same.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/techtip-installing-symantec-recovery-disk-srd-usb-flash-dri...

Parag

DaveT
Level 4
Partner

Easiest process in a multi-Vendor, multi-hardware environment is to pull the drive from the machine you need to recover, put the drive in an eSATA cage (on a good PC), recover the backup job to the eSATA drive, and return the drive to the original machine.

If you have another identical machine that has an Optical Drive, move the bad PC's hard drive to the machine with the optical (removing its drive), boot the SRD and do the Recovery.

One last thought, you may be able to create a bootable USB drive, and have it boot the SRD.  I have not tried this, yet, but read the info here:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-multiple-iso-from-usb-multiboot-usb/

Hope any/all of these help in some way.

Dave T.

Marcello_D_Ange
Not applicable
Employee Accredited

Install Windows Deployment Services components from Add/Remove Programs on a Windows 2003 or 2008 server, then open the WDS, snap-in, right-click your server, select "Configure Server" and follow the wisard.

Once you have your WDS up and running, right click boot images > "Add boot image"  and browse your Recovery Disk to Sources\BOOT.WIM click next and you will be able to PXE boot your SRD.

Please let me know if you have any issues.

Cheers

Marcello

p.s.

Please mark as solution if that works!

teiva-boy
Level 6

Copy the ISO to a USB drive to make a bootable USB thumb drive.  Your PC's have at least that capability right?  

Outside of that, there is the lightsout recovery, or whatever it's called, where the ISO is actually copied to the local HDD and the machine can be dual booted into the OS, or the recovery partition.

salamz
Level 4
Partner

Dear Marcello,

Thanks for your suggestion i  ll try thz in next 2/3  days as i was stuck in other project and update you ASAP.

@ tevia

i know abt lightsout recovery i ve already tested. but the think is that it ll occupied space in my HD. and secondly in case of my HD Damage i ll nt b able to recover it thats y i ask for Network boot recovery.

Regards

Saqib Alam