cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network device error after using SSR recovery disc

gilgamesh-aus
Level 4

I've been trying out the evaluation version of SSR 2013 and I've built a custom recovery CD.

I can boot off the CD and run SSR (as far as it will let me in evaluation mode :-)), this includes mapping a network drive from my NAS that contains my backup files. But after finishing with the CD and booting back into windows a problem occurs each time I've tested it.

When booting back into Windows 7 for some reason it tries and fails to reload the driver for my network card. I can get around this by using device manager to delete the network card and then searching for the device again and then I have my network back, but I don't think I should have to do this as in my testing I actually haven't done anything to the Windows 7 partition at all.

The problem only occurs after using the SSR 2013 recovery CD, any other CD is fine including my old Ghost 15 recovery CD (which I also use to map network drives). I'm using a Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 motherboard with it's builtin network interface.

6 REPLIES 6

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Which options do you select when restoring the backup ?

gilgamesh-aus
Level 4

I didn't actually restore a backup, I just mounted the network disk to see if I could access them from the NAS. The content of the windows 7 partition was unchanged from when it was shutdown to then boot from the SSR recovery CD.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   
Did I get it right: After you boot your Windows 7 installation with the SRD, you open a recovery Point from a NAS device. After this you restart it and the Windows 7 system doesn't load the NIC Card Driver any longer ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Updates ?

gilgamesh-aus
Level 4

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I don't actually open the recovery point on the NAS, I only map the network drive.

So.

1. Windows 7 is boots up and works fine
  2. Reboot using the SRD
  3. Map the network drive to the NAS
  4. Reboot to Windows 7 and the NIC driver does not load

I have found that if I do a "Scan for hardware changes" in device manager without deleting the NIC then it will also recover the network.

My initial tests  were carried out with the evaluation version and a custom SRD created from the Windows 7 enviroment. I have now purchased the full version of System Recovery and (much as I hate it) installed a Windows 8 partition for the sole purpose of creating a new custom SRD properly with my licence key.

And when I follow the same steps I have the same error in my Windows 7 boot.

Dave_H1
Level 4

It sounds like the NIC is not getting reset.  Try disabling any "quick boot" settings in the BIOS and see if it works when the system goes through a full POST. 

Perhaps try updating the driver to the most recent version and use the same version in your custom recovery disk.

Dave