cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet connection after recovery to different hardware

banan2
Level 4

Hi,

I'm evaluating Backup Exec System Recovery, and recently I tried to backup a Server 2003 STD and restore it to a server with different hardware. It looked very good, untill that I found out it has just local network connection, and can't ping my gateway (or any internet IP-adresses).

I have tried to update the NIC driver, but I'm not allowed to. I also tried to uninstall the current NIC driver, but next time I scan for hardware changes it automaticly installs the same driver again.

Like I said, I can connect to other servers and computers in the same network, but I cannot reach the internet (it's not DNS, I can't ping IP-adresses outside the LAN either).

Any idea on how I can solve this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can go directly to the NIC hardware mftr and download the drivers there. Otherwise, you may want to contact HP for assistance.

If you are using static IP, that IP is still tied to that machine name on the hardware's cache settings and the router/switch level and you may need to flush out the cache.  Again, after the NIC drivers are updated, try changing the machine name and assigning a new IP to that machine. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

What happens when you attempt to update the NIC? Are you using static or dynamic IP? Since the MAC address has changed, you may need to release and refresh your network settings.

banan2
Level 4

The HP driver installation tells me that there is no such hardware in my machine, even though I know it is. When I ran a Support Pack (tool for updating drivers) it even found out by itself that I had an outdated driver, and tried to update it. This tool too gave an error.

It got static IP configuration.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can go directly to the NIC hardware mftr and download the drivers there. Otherwise, you may want to contact HP for assistance.

If you are using static IP, that IP is still tied to that machine name on the hardware's cache settings and the router/switch level and you may need to flush out the cache.  Again, after the NIC drivers are updated, try changing the machine name and assigning a new IP to that machine. 

banan2
Level 4

Thanks for suggestions.

Manufactures drivers didn't work either. Told me that I didn't have the right software for the driver, even though I downloaded the Server 2003 driver. I will make a call to HP tomorrow, even though I still believe that this is a BESR problem, I got the exact same problem when I mounted the server to a Hyper-V VM, with a virtual network connection. Only local area connection available, no external connection.

What do you mean by the IP is still tied to that machine name on the hardware's cache settings? What machine, and what hardware cache? The old machine? It's disconnected. The server it's installed on right now is clean, shouldn't have any cached settings. In any case, how do I flush this cache?

I can't change the servers name, it's a domain controller.

Linas
Level 6

HP Server nick are very sensitive with drivers

I had an issue trying to update drivers

Had to update firmware before I could use a new driver

To test download an old drive from HP if it works

It’s probably firmware problem

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The 'Restore Anywhere' feature likely retained the original network settings but removed the NIC driver and replaced it with a Windows driver that matched the card in the new machine. This is working as designed. It is not unusual that a driver BESR used is outdated and needs to be updated. There are ways to force Windows to not resinstall a driver after it is removed from the device manager, but again, let HP take you down that road if necessary.

Also, if the new system has more than one NIC, you will want to make sure you are configuring the right NIC card with the right drivers, network settings for that NIC, etc. Because you are using a static IP address, you need to manually reconfigure the computer network settings. Before we go messing with the DNS cache or anything like that, let's get the right drivers and network settings working.

banan2
Level 4

I feel very stupid now. After I restarted the gateway then suddently internet started to work. It might have been as you said Andy, that the routers cache did something here.

I still can't upgrade the driver though, but I'm getting help from HP to fix that now.

Thanks for your time, and sorry for wasting it laugh