cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No "Recovery Point Type" Panel in SSR 2013 R2 Trial?

Coldforest
Level 3

Hi,

I'm evaluating the SSR 2013 R2 trial and have been unable to confiure drive-based backup jobs for incremental backups (i.e., Recovery point set instead of independent recovery point). When I define backup jobs I never see the "recovery point type" panel where specification of this characteristic is supposed to be available; the wizard just skips from the "Drives" panel directly to the "Backup Destination" panel (and skips the "Recovery Point Type" panel). All resulting jobs end up being configured as independent recovery points. As a result each backup takes up a huge amount of destination drive space.

I've previously used SSR 2013 (non-R2) and these jobs were configured correctly as "recovery point sets". Is this a limitation of the trial software?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

criley
Employee Accredited

Is this a limitation of the trial software?

No. This feature is available when in trial mode.

Not sure why you are seeing this problem. Is it limited to just one machine? If yes, perhaps remove, then re-install to see if it helps.

Coldforest
Level 3

A reinstall did not initially correct this. The reinstall has two options; because the full delete option sounded ominous ("include delete of all data files", which seemed to suggest the actual backups would be deleted too) I chose the "remove all installation files". With this, and after re-installing the trial, my previous backup jobs were still visible. And these did not allow for any resetting of the recovery type (understandable). However, attempting to define a new job also did not result in the recovery type panel appearing.

Finally, I deleted all (2 of) my pre-defined backup jobs and then re-created one of these. Now I see the recovery point type panel appearing. I'm unsure why this all happened. Perhaps I didn't need to re-install; maybe just deleting and recreating the jobs would have sufficed? Does this mean I can no longer create jobs for these drives where I can select the recovery type?

Anyway, at least I now have a new job that creates an incremental recovery set for my internal and iSCSI based drives...

criley
Employee Accredited

Thanks for the update. Looks like a simple job re-creation was the way to go to fix this.

Does this mean I can no longer create jobs for these drives where I can select the recovery type?

Not sure I understand this question ..but - you can only create 1 recovery point set backup job for the specified volumes. Once that job is created, you can then only create independent backup jobs.

Coldforest
Level 3

Ya, it's a mystery as to why this required full re-creation, but I'm at least glad this is working again.

Interesting that only one incremental recovery point job can be created for a volume. This would mean that I wouldn't be able to creat a duplicate job in order to backup to a second destination, right (i.e., for backup redundancy)? Is there a reason for this limitation?

criley
Employee Accredited

This would mean that I wouldn't be able to creat a duplicate job in order to backup to a second destination, right (i.e., for backup redundancy)?

You can still do this. This is what the offsite copy feature is designed for ..