cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton Ghost 14.0 to create image using Recovery Disk, store it onto external drive

dzapffe19
Not applicable
I have purchased one copy of Ghost 14.0 to create an image from one computer.
I will take that image, and copy it onto hundreds of other computers (because they are all the same model)
We are using corporate liscences for all the software that should be on the computer.
I want to use Ghost 14.0 to create an image in the recovery CD, and store it onto an external hard drive, but I see no option to do so.
I feel that if I install the software onto the imaged computer, then it will be duplicated hundreds of times and I will be "stealing" the software, which I do not want to do.

Is there any way I can create the image in the recovery CD and store it on an external hard drive?

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

marcogsp
Level 6
This product is capable of writing to an external drive, but I think this is the least of your worries.  Transfering this image to hundreds of computers is most likely a violation of the single license you currently have.  This product is licensed on a per system basis.  It is one thing to recover a dead system or move from old to new hardware.  It is quite another to use this product as a deployment solution for hundreds of computers.  Frankly, Ghost Solution Suite is a better tool for your intended use, but it is also licensed on a per system basis.

If your budget is so tight that you can only afford one copy of a drive imaging solution, then there are many open source drive imaging solutions available.  I hate to see anybody be subject to heavy fines and possible job loss in this tough economy due to a software licensing violation.

Donza
Not applicable
I have a similar problem. I bought ver 14 to be able to take an image of my main computer as well as my external drives. I was able to do a "backup" of my external drive but cannot figure out how to make an "image file".  I have used previous version of Ghost but not in a few years and this doesn't seem to act at all like the ones I used to use.

Is this still the same program? It was the only one I could find and I'd really hate to think I had wasted my money on something that isn't the same anymore.

What's up or how do I use version 14 to make a disk image instead of just lots of backup files???

Please help!

DS

marcogsp
Level 6
Donza -- Please download the latest manual for your product here:

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/ghost/14/manuals/ngh_14_user_guide.pdf

Chapter 6 has the info you need to create an image.

Yes this product is different from the original Ghost product.  It is now based on Backup Exec System Recovery.  Welcome to the world of the confusing Symantec naming conventions