cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton Security + Symantec System Recovery = Problems

gardis
Level 4

Friends.
I get so tired when two products from the same manufacturer collide with each other.

In my case it is Norton Security by Symantec (version 22.1.0.9) and Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 (version 11.1.0.53728) that do not like each other.

We had no problem when we ran Norton Internet Security, but since the change of the virus software problems have succeeded each other.

The backups are interrupted in the middle and sometimes not allowed at all.

We have set both the "Network Trust" and "Device Trust" - all to allow communication with our NAS (Drobo).

But still problems ...

We work with Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Johannes

3 REPLIES 3

criley
Employee Accredited

What specific error(s) are you seeing?

gardis
Level 4

Hi Chris!
Will now try to tell you about my problems occurring on three computers with Windows 8.1 with Symantec System Recovery and Norton Security.

The problem is that it does not happen every time, but very often.
SSR shows the following:

Calculating remaining time (1%)
(bit of a wait)
Creating Recovery Point
Creating Volyme Snapshots
Snapping Volumes (5%)

Here at exactly 5% are determined whether the backup will work or not.
Jumps it on to 7%, everything is fine.

But often it stays at 5% and just standing still there.
No error messages, but it can stand for hours at 5% without anything happening.

Sometimes, an error message pops up, but I do not know if it's the same error or another (see attached file).

We have run SSR in several different computer systems and it has always worked well. But not in our computers with Windows 8.1 and it is the same problem on all computers.

Thanks for the help!

// Johannes

criley
Employee Accredited

Looks like a VSS issue. If the backup goes beyond 5%, you can be sure that the VSS snapshot process was successful. If it fails at 5%, as yours is doing, there is an issue with the VSS snapshot process.

As it says it the screenshot, please check the Windows Application Event log for errors. Can you post back here with the errors shown at the time of failure.