cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton System Recovery UEFI Problem

Harley51
Level 4

I changed my motherboard to a ASUS Z170-A. I did a backup and it went fine. But then I tried to recover this is the message that I got. Cannot restore BIOS based recovery points on UEFI based computer. Please select a UEIF based recovery point. I don't see any UEFI recovert points in the file picks. Need some help here.

7 REPLIES 7

criley
Employee Accredited

Is this a UEFI or BIOS machine? Please confirm using option 2 here:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/29504-bios-mode-see-if-windows-boot-uefi-legacy-mode.html

Also, please confirm the version of System Recovery you have (check in Help/About for version details).

Harley51
Level 4

It's a Bios computer. System Recovery SP5 11.1.5.55393. I turned off the UEFI in the ASUS bios and I was able to recover. Is there a setting in System Recovery Backup to override this?

criley
Employee Accredited

SP5? So I assume you are part of the BETA for SP5 then?

There are no settings in SSR to override this.

Harley51
Level 4

Yes I am part of the Beta Program. So If I turn UEFI and do a backup that's ok correct. But if I restore I have to turn UEFI off for it to work correct.

criley
Employee Accredited

Well, typically you should not have to mess around and make these changes when restoring to the SAME machine.

Did you try (test) backup/restore before changing the motherboard? I wonder if that change has caused this problem ..

Harley51
Level 4

Many times. But the old motherboard didn't have UEFI.

criley
Employee Accredited

So I think this is the issue then.

The operating system was installed when the machine was BIOS. The new motherboard is now UEFI, hence the issue you are running into.

If you were to install Windows today (I'm not suggesting you do that by the way), it should be UEFI enabled.

Does that make sense?