cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

* Now Released * Symantec System Recovery 2013

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

IT organizations face hardware, software and database / application downtime, lasting short periods of time to shutting down the business for days on a regular basis. Without adequate planning and preparation, any type of downtime can compromise a return to operations and cause financial damage as the ability to generate revenue is lost. Most organizations anticipate that unplanned downtime can — and likely will — occur at some future time. But, in today's world, the need to ensure Web-enabled 24 x 7 x 365 access to key applications is paramount. Thus planning for operational continuity and recovery from outages is rapidly becoming an urgent priority for commercial and government entities alike.

New Symantec System Recovery 2013 - Generally Available Globally on 7th Jan 2013

I am delighted to announce that Symantec System Recovery 2013 is available from Monday 7th January 2013. Symantec System Recovery 2013 delivers superior backup and disaster recovery for servers, desktops, laptops, and virtual machines that enable businesses to recover from downtime or disasters in minutes. With patented Restore Anyware™ technology, IT administrators can rapidly restore exactly what they need, when and where they need it–including entire physical and virtual machines to bare metal or dissimilar hardware as well as files, folders, and granular application objects. Unlike other technologies, Symantec System Recovery also provides cross-platform Physical-to-Virtual (P2V), Virtual-to-Virtual (V2V), and Virtual to-Physical (V2P) recoveries, making it the perfect complement to physical and virtual environments.

The new and powerful features in this latest release further extend Symantec System Recovery leadership position in Disaster Recovery and Data Protection for all sizes of businesses. This new release includes support for the latest applications and operating systems, a new management solution for large scale deployments, and faster incremental backups in windows by up to 750%. 

Key new features in Symantec System Recovery 2013:

• Support for Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8

• Support for VMware vSphere 5.0 and 5.1

• UEFI Support: Symantec System Recovery now enables boot from UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) in addition to BIOS.

• 64 bit Support:  Full 64 bit support is now included.

• Advanced Monitoring and Reporting: Symantec System Recovery Monitor is a new monitoring solution that's extremely simple to use and is FREE of charge to all Symantec System Recovery 2013 customers. It's a standalone and lightweight solution for managing up to 100 nodes. It’s simplicity and no extra dependency eliminates the learning curve for users. Intuitive GUI along with essential action controls provide crisp status along with ability to take desired actions seamlessly through the same view.

• Smart Reconciliation:  Now Backups and reconciliation are efficiently done by smartly tracking changed blocks. The reconcile time is drastically reduced to seconds by eliminating the need to do a complete reconcile in cases of crashes or abrupt shutdowns. In addition,  incremental backups are now up to 750% faster.

- Incremental Backup without reconcile – At least 35% faster than Symantec System Recovery 2011

- Full Backup – At least 15% faster than Symantec System Recovery 2011

- Incremental Backup with reconcile – At least 750% faster than Symantec System Recovery 2011

• Updated Symantec System Recovery Linux Edition: The Symantec System Recovery Linux Edition now includes the ability to perform incremental backups and schedule backup jobs.

Try it Now FREE for 60 Days!

You can download the new version of Symantec System Recovery from Monday 7th Jan 2013 onwards by visiting: 

103 REPLIES 103

Haznohair
Not applicable
Partner

Hi PDM-Red,  Up to version 7 of Backup Exec System Recovery you could use drive letters as the destination, handy for daily full images to be removed off site, different disk every day etc. From version 8 this disappeared and has been that bain of our lives ever since, batch files here and there to overcome jobs failing because drive volume such and such isnt available. Bring BACK DRIVE LETTER designation for this otherwise nifty product ! PLEASE ! crying

bruceparker
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Where can employees or partners find an NFR license key for SSR 2013?

criley
Employee Accredited

Can you provide a bit more detail on this please? A detailed example of what does not currently work would help..

STHN
Level 5
Partner Accredited

The simplest way to get help here would be to call Customer Care. They will guide you.

Grab the appropriate number here:

http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_care.jsp

Or as a partner you can try to log into partner net and just search for "NFR". There will be a useful result.

WillieL
Level 2

Hi I am new to the forum but just wanted to let folk know of my experience of upgrading so far. I had SSR 2011 installed and working fine on our Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition with SP2 installed. I performed an inplace upgrade to the SSR 2013 product and since then all my users have complained of very slow access times to our server but this is not my main issue. Once I completed the install and re-started the server the software took ages to connect to the agent and when it did connect it no longer had my previous back up jobs listed. I therefore went to re-create them, this is when I have come across a major issue. When starting the wizard for creating a new backup job and I ask it to backup the computer option there are no drives at all listed! If I can't see the drives then how am I to back them up? I then tried to create a folder backup which it can see them but gives errors when I try to move to the next part of the wizard after "Name & Destination". Error is

-Error E1AD78A5: Cannot save backup properties.

--Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

(UMI:V-281-429-30885)

I am now sitting with a server that is not protected and I would seriously advise to re-consider doing an inplace upgrade.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

STHN
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Form a support perspective, the best way to deal with that is to have the system restored from backup to the state before upgrade. Troubleshooting upgrade issues should be the last options. The reason for that is to avoid "hidden issues", that don't show immediately after the upgrade but day/weeks/month later. Troubleshootin these is always a pain in the rear.

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

Hi Willie,

Can you please check if following 2 services exist  and are up in Services control panel?

1. Symantec System Recovery

2. SymtrackService

-Thanks,

Pravin

WillieL
Level 2

Thank you for the responses, I can confirm to PravinAmin that the first service appears is installed and started however the second service is not listed therefore I presume it is not running.

Willie

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

Hi Willie,

Thanks for confirmation. Can you please try following and let me know if it resolves the issue?

1. Start command prompt with Administrative previliges.

2. Navigate to  C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Shared\Drivers\Service folder

3. Locate Symtrackservice.exe (if OS is 32-bit) or Symtrackservicex64.exe (if OS is 64-bit) in the folder

4. Execute following command:

a. 32-bit OS: "Symtrackservice.exe /service /start=Auto"

b. 64-bit OS:  "SymTrackServicex64.exe /service /start=Auto"

5. Please make sure that the service gets registered and can be started.

6. Restart the server

Please let me know if this resolves the issue.

-Thanks,

Pravin

WillieL
Level 2

PravinAmin,

I can confirm that installing and startinig that service does resolve my issue and I can carry on and re-setup backup jobs as the previous jobs are missing but it does see all the drives and the previous backup images.

Many thanks

Willie

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee
Hi Willie, Thanks for confirmation. This could be some machine specific issue of windows missing to register the service. -Thanks, Pravin

PDM-RED
Level 2
Partner

Hey Bruce, I have just ordered my reseller NFR license. I logged into partner net, went to software benefits, order NFR. it then takes you off to the ordering portal at salesforce.com on the 4th page of products I am entitled to it showed:

SYMC SYSTEM RECOVERY 2013 WIN NFR LIC

I added it to my order and submitted, I got a confirmation email immediately stating the I should receive my key in 3-5 days.

Note: the salesforce ordering web portal is very "comprehensive"  if you have not already setup your NFR entitlement be advised it will take a bit of effort. Happy New Year to all.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

SSR 2013 is now a live product and no longer considered 'beta'. If you have any questions or comments, please start a new thread. This will ensure your post receives full exposure to everyone monitoring this SSR\BESR forum. 

Thank you all for your questions and responses. We appreciate your comments and feedback.

Bas_Lips
Level 3
Partner Accredited

They can put their SFTP effort into a solution that is common for 2013, if you ask me...

Check out the idea: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/automatic-offsite-backup-replication

Hopefully Symantec picks up on this request...

John_Santana
Level 6

thanks !

tac1
Level 3

Downloaded and installed SSR 2013 without any problem.

Windows 8 Pro, Intel i7, nVidia GTX670, backup ource 230GB SSD, backup target 3GB HD, all as used with Ghost 15 0n windows 7 with no problems.

Unable to back up. 

When attempting backup with SSR2013, program starts by calculating 'time remaining' as usual but then fails, stating there is not enough room on target disk (on a nearly empty 3GB HD!). blush

Error message:

-Error E4F3000E: Snapshot failure while using Volume Shadow Copy Service. Please check application event log for VSS errors. Error code: VSS_E_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE (-2147212513).

(UMI:V-281-1267-14)

Any ideas?

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

Hi,

This error is of VSS, occurs due to insufficient snapshot storage. Please refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH200588.

Mostly, there might be less space left on System Reserved partition with is 300 MB on Windows 8. You can relocate the snapshot area of this partition to C drive.

-Thanks,

Pravin

tac1
Level 3

Pravin, thank you for fast response, appreciated.

Hum, perhaps I misunderstand, but reference tech. note states that problem occurs if source volume has less than 300GB of free disk space.

In my understanding source disk is that disk which is to be backed up - is this correct?

If so, SSR 2013 is unsuitable for backing up 95% of SSDs used for OS installation, most of which are 60-120GB; mine, at 240GB, is larger than most, and, currently, has 70GB free.

Hope that I simply misunderstand Tech. Note and reply.

Thanks and regards

Robert Challess

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

Hi Robert,

This is slightly unrelated to size of disk drive or partition. The VSS shadowstorage size is set to 300 MB by default. VSS snapshoting is also used by other applications which captures snapshots. If such old snapshots are not deleted and new snapshot is tried, it may exceed the defined snapshot storage area causing the VSS error that you observed. The snapshot size in some cases itself bigger than shadowstorage limit resulting in the error.

Please run following command as Administrator to check the shadow storage details

vssadmin list shadowstorage

You can also resize the shadowstorage using

vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage command.

Please let me know if this resolves your query or please start a new thread in the forum for further discussion.

-Thanks,

Pravin

tac1
Level 3

Hi Pravin

Been there, done that.

ShadowStorage space increased to 18GB (!!!) and no change.  SSR 2013 continues to fail with refewrence to insufficient space, as described above.

Thanks

Robert Challess