cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

* Now Released * Symantec System Recovery 2013

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

IT organizations face hardware, software and database / application downtime, lasting short periods of time to shutting down the business for days on a regular basis. Without adequate planning and preparation, any type of downtime can compromise a return to operations and cause financial damage as the ability to generate revenue is lost. Most organizations anticipate that unplanned downtime can — and likely will — occur at some future time. But, in today's world, the need to ensure Web-enabled 24 x 7 x 365 access to key applications is paramount. Thus planning for operational continuity and recovery from outages is rapidly becoming an urgent priority for commercial and government entities alike.

New Symantec System Recovery 2013 - Generally Available Globally on 7th Jan 2013

I am delighted to announce that Symantec System Recovery 2013 is available from Monday 7th January 2013. Symantec System Recovery 2013 delivers superior backup and disaster recovery for servers, desktops, laptops, and virtual machines that enable businesses to recover from downtime or disasters in minutes. With patented Restore Anyware™ technology, IT administrators can rapidly restore exactly what they need, when and where they need it–including entire physical and virtual machines to bare metal or dissimilar hardware as well as files, folders, and granular application objects. Unlike other technologies, Symantec System Recovery also provides cross-platform Physical-to-Virtual (P2V), Virtual-to-Virtual (V2V), and Virtual to-Physical (V2P) recoveries, making it the perfect complement to physical and virtual environments.

The new and powerful features in this latest release further extend Symantec System Recovery leadership position in Disaster Recovery and Data Protection for all sizes of businesses. This new release includes support for the latest applications and operating systems, a new management solution for large scale deployments, and faster incremental backups in windows by up to 750%. 

Key new features in Symantec System Recovery 2013:

• Support for Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8

• Support for VMware vSphere 5.0 and 5.1

• UEFI Support: Symantec System Recovery now enables boot from UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) in addition to BIOS.

• 64 bit Support:  Full 64 bit support is now included.

• Advanced Monitoring and Reporting: Symantec System Recovery Monitor is a new monitoring solution that's extremely simple to use and is FREE of charge to all Symantec System Recovery 2013 customers. It's a standalone and lightweight solution for managing up to 100 nodes. It’s simplicity and no extra dependency eliminates the learning curve for users. Intuitive GUI along with essential action controls provide crisp status along with ability to take desired actions seamlessly through the same view.

• Smart Reconciliation:  Now Backups and reconciliation are efficiently done by smartly tracking changed blocks. The reconcile time is drastically reduced to seconds by eliminating the need to do a complete reconcile in cases of crashes or abrupt shutdowns. In addition,  incremental backups are now up to 750% faster.

- Incremental Backup without reconcile – At least 35% faster than Symantec System Recovery 2011

- Full Backup – At least 15% faster than Symantec System Recovery 2011

- Incremental Backup with reconcile – At least 750% faster than Symantec System Recovery 2011

• Updated Symantec System Recovery Linux Edition: The Symantec System Recovery Linux Edition now includes the ability to perform incremental backups and schedule backup jobs.

Try it Now FREE for 60 Days!

You can download the new version of Symantec System Recovery from Monday 7th Jan 2013 onwards by visiting: 

103 REPLIES 103

Ron_K
Level 3

All:

The system reset restored VSS capability -- just as Microsoft recommended.  They were justified in their suspicion that HP blew the pre-install of Windows 8.

I was able to create a backup image of my laptop with SSR 2013 Desktop.  If I ever need to restore from it, can I do it without a CD to boot from?  The laptop has no CD/DVD drive.

Thanks,

Ron-K

Ron_K
Level 3

Andy,

Microsoft says they believe there is a problem in the way HP preinstalled Wiindows 8 on my laptop.  They have suggested I refresh Windows 8.  I am going to do this when I have the time to reinstall all my programs.

Given this, is there still a point in my opening a case?

Thanks,

Ron

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

@Ron - within the SSR console, click TASKS > Create Custom Recovery Disk. This will allow you to convert a USB thumb drive into a bootable Symantec Recovery Drive (USB SRD). The process will not delete any files or folders on the USB drive. 

Ron_K
Level 3

Hi Andy,

I did as you suggested.  But the system needs a Symantec Recovery Folder or ISO drive.  Is this something I can get with the trial version or do I need to buy it first?

Thanks,

Ron

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

When you download the trial version, did you also download the Symantec Recovery Disk? If so, it was an ISO file after you extracted it, which is what the wizard is looking for. You can do this in trial mode, but the functionality of what you can do in trial mode is limited.

StrongerLiu
Level 2

I have bought 11 sets of SSR. But i found it doesn't support for SUSE Enterprice Server 11 SP2. How can I do? I alos need to know what time it will be supported? Thanks!

Brian_M1
Level 2

I am a Ghost v14 user.  I was about to order Ghost for some new machines and have purchased a RAID backup server to hold the new backups.  Just read that the replacement for Ghost is SSR 2013.  Installed it OK on my machine before I try on new machines.  It showed my exisitng backups and backup jobs OK.  However, as soon as I tried to do a backup I get the error:-

-Error EBAB03E9: Internal Application Error: Memory Access Violation c0000005: Application tried to read memory at 00000000.

(UMI:V-0-2987-1001)

I spent 5 hours on the Symantec chat support line with no success.  They had me run chkdsk, try different destinations, backing up using independant recovery points, just files and folders, etc.  I have tried to re-install.  All have the same effect.  The online Smantec chat person said he had tried his best but was unsuccesful and suggested I try here.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Brian -

There is a known issue where this error may occur after upgrading to SSR 2013 from a previous build when backing up more than one volume. Here is a link to the technote: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH195857. This technote pertains to 2010, but will also be addressed in SSR 2013 for an identical error. This service pack is due out in the next couple of weeks.

If urgent, please open a support case by clicking here: https://my.symantec.com/webapp/faces/technicalSupport?casetype=cc

Brian_M1
Level 2

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response.  I tried to get hold of the hotfix, but as I don't have a customer number, I can't get the fix.  I am trying this at home, where I was very happy with Ghost v14 but decided to use my Laptop to upgrade to SSR 2013 to try it out before I bought SSR 2013 for the charity where I provide IT support.  As we haven't bought it, we don't have a customer number!

I therefore decided to wait for the service pack.  As I needed to back up my Laptop as I hadn't done this due the SSR 2013 problem, I decided to go back to Ghost v14.  So, I uninstalled SSR 2013 and tried to re-install Ghost v14.  It won't allow that and give me an installation error.  So now I can't go back to v14 or move to SSR 2013.

I want to move forward, any ideas on how to get the hotfix?

Thanks,

Brian

j_kang
Level 3

I'm another person who is working on a migration of my users from Ghost 15 to SSR 2013. I have already purchased a license, etc. My question is a bit more mundane:

Is there an updated manual/user guide for SSR 2013 or should I be referring to the SSR 2011 user guide? The documentation link for SSR 2013 takes me to a page where there's a README for 2013. But, the link for a user guide points to the 2011 version of the guide.

Thanks in advance!

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answers&startover=y&question_box=V-306-6 This is found by going to Start > Programs > Symantec > Symantec System Recovery > 'User's Guide'.

Do you have any other questions?

j_kang
Level 3

Nope. No other questions at this point. Thanks for the reply!

kqf_chris
Level 4

Is there any release date for SP1? I was told April and it's almost the end of May. I have pending bugs I am waiting for resolutions to. Thanks!

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

Hi

SSR 2013 SP1 is available on Live Update from today.

-Thanks,
Pravin

John_Santana
Level 6

Thanks for the sharing Sebaha !

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH201924

gerrypete
Level 3

I have recently found what I consider to be a significant issue with regard to SSR 2013 Desktop Edition.  The following information is included on p. 57 of the User Guide:

Symantec System Recovery lets you assign unique names to external drives when you use them as a backup destination or an Offsite Copy destination. Assigning unique names helps you to manage these destinations and avoid confusion if you use more than one drive. It is especially helpful when the assigned drive letter changes each time you plug in the drive.

Then on p. 58:

You can remove or change the unique name for the drive as needed.

The User Guide contains instruction on removing or changing the unique names but not how to assign them.

These features do not work.  I contacted support and found that this is a known problem.  For me this is important because I swap offsite copies between my home office and safe deposit box on a weekly basis and the feature of uniques names that are intended to solve the problem of changing drive letters does not work.

This is not an enhancement but rather a problem with the program that really needs to be fixed on the next release since it renders the User Guide to be incorrect regarding this feature.

edvin
Not applicable

Thanks

http://www.jocuri-logice.biz

John_Santana
Level 6

Does the new SSR 2013 SP1 now supports Windows 8.1 ?

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

John - SSR 2013 Sp2 releases in the coming weeks, and will support 8.1.