cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONe Time Virtual Conversion Wizard

Riggzie
Level 4

so I have done backups of physical machines and restored them in a VM. I saw this option and decided to try it; however, I cant get past the initial part...

8 REPLIES 8

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

So you have an EFI partition in your backup?

criley
Employee Accredited

@Riggzie 

What format are you attempting to convert to?

Todays machines are mainly EFI - so yes, I do have an EFI partition that I am trying to convert.

@criley 

not quite sure what you mean. I have a machine backed up that is a win10 uefi partition and I just ran the tool, selected the image and it gave me that screen. so I didnt get to choose what im trying to convert it too...

hopefully get to look at this a bit more today...

criley
Employee Accredited

@Riggzie 

Attached is the screen that I'm talking about, I assume you see this as this is what is presented as the first option when trying convert to virtual option.

This is odd... Yes, that is what i had originally. I tried selecting ESXI (2nd option) and it just errored out with that in first post. Interesting though, I thought I would walk through and post in order screenshots; however, it seems that it all wants to play nice today and i am doing a restore into my esxi test server.

so question... What is the benefit of this as I can simply boot a new VM off the veritas srd and restore that way? just curious as they both seem to do the same thing... unless this way injects vm drivers?

criley
Employee Accredited

@Riggzie 

You are right; they both achieve the same thing (move physical machine to virtual).

No particular benefit really that I can think of. Converting just gives you the VMDK/VHD files that you can then choose what to do with - I guess one option is to attach them to an existing virtual machine if required. That is one big difference I guess.

one benefit i definitely see..

you dont have to boot off a thumb drive, map drives, choose stuff and do the restore.. this is up and running with less clicks/hastle or requiring other person needing less knowledge...