cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS drive backup fails convertion to microsoft VHD

klfisher
Level 3

I have four different drives backed up on a 2008 r2 server and the OS drive is the only drive that will not convert to a VHD.  It fails every time.  I have created conversion jobs for the other drive individually and they all run fine all using the same settings and locations as the OS conversion job but it fails.

With this error??

Error EC8F1F48: The 'Microsoft VHD' conversion process could not be completed.
 Error EC8F1F46: An error occurred trying to retarget the virtual disk F:\DLC\Backup-hyperV\Backup-HyperV_C_Drive.vhd.
  Error E0BB0004: Function Retarget Virtual Disk argument Mount Point is invalid. (UMI:V-281-3215-8008)

Details:
Source: Symantec System Recovery 2011

The other drives that do convert are using the same back file form the same location and saving the conversion to the same location which is actually a local drive on this server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

klfisher
Level 3

Resolved thank you.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Can you open a support case for this?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here?

klfisher
Level 3

Actually I have found that when this happens if I delete all of the old backup strings and create a new base imagine it will run the virtual conversion again.  I have an automate conversion running each weekend for all my servers.  Not really sure why they sometime start failing except that something in the daily image becomes corrupt.  I have also upgraded to the 2013 version but that didn’t fix the issue

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

2013 or 2013 R2 SP2?

klfisher
Level 3

2013 R2 version 11.1.2.54477  I don't see Service pack?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

That is SP2.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Sorry for catching up so late, does the issue still exist?

klfisher
Level 3

No Things are currently converting.  But I did come acrossed something different.  I backup exchange 2010 and needed to restore a mail enabled public folder.  While trying to do this I found it was not a simple task.  Restoring a regular mailbox is pretty nice with the grandular restore option.  But I found that public folders have no such option to access the emails from the backup.  The only way to restore is by overwriting the entire public folder DB.  Would be nice if it was part of the grandular restore option. 

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Happy to hear that. May I kindly ask you to mark your post as solved then?

klfisher
Level 3

Resolved thank you.