cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off-site Backup Destination Unmanageable

ToxicMan
Level 3

SSR2013 R2 on WINDOWS 10.  Not available in the dropdown...

Really need some help here folks.  I have a backup job that's been working well and has been configured to copy recovery points to a nas-share using the off-site copy feature.  I've attached an image of the Offsite Copy Settings.

When I attempt to Manage Backup Destination, I can't select the off-site location, it's listed in the drop down but not to the proper sub directory, it's only showing the parent directory and therefore no recovery point sets.  I've also uploaded an image of this as well.

Veritas Support won't help, I don't have a support contract.  I'm just a poor little home user whom bought SSR 2010 from Norton and have been upgrading along the way to the current SSR 2013 R2 w/latest patches.  Along the way, Veritas bought it and now wants hundreds of dollars a year for support.  Argh.

Does anyone here know how I can fix this?  Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

ToxicMan
Level 3

No one has any ideas how to fix?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Could you manage the off-site destination in the past?

No. This has always plagued me. I've even gone as far as deleting the entire backup job, uninstalling SSR and reinstalling from scratch. I'm firmly convinced this is a bug.

I've even moved all the offsite backups into the directory SSR shows as the destination and that too has no effect. The app doesn't manage offsite locations despite configuration.

But I have to pay veritas to show them the undocumented feature. Crazy! And completely stuck with an out of control growing offsite backup!

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

OK, just to make sure: You're running 2013R2 SP6?

Yup...

criley
Employee Accredited

Sorry for late reply on this ..

This is actually 'by design'. Whilst the offsite location is listed, it does not allow for any sort of management. And before you say it, I agree with you; it is NOT clear in the console that this is the case. My opinion is that it should either not be listed at all or there should be some note in the console that explains this.

The reason for this is that the offsite location should be a replica of what you have on your primary backup destination, there should be no need to do manual management. For you, it sounds like investigation is needed in order to understand why your offsite location is not in sync with the primary.

Hope this helps in some way.

So, under this logic; if I manage the on-site and consolidate recovery points, or delete old recovery points, the off-site location should reflect those changes.  e.g. also consolidate...

That is definately not happening.  My off-site location has grown to over 6TB while my on-site is less than 2TB.

criley
Employee Accredited

If you look in Help/About, can you confirm the exact version you are using?

Can you also provide a directory listing of both primary and offsite locations?

Confirmed latest version and install date is Aug 14 2016. Not sure posting a pic of the directory comps will show anything different than I've already stated. The directories do not match. The on-site location trims automatically according to my retention Settings. The offsite location simply grows uncontrollably.

criley
Employee Accredited

So version is 11.1.6 ??

I'm just trying to get an understanding of what is happening here, the directory listings may give me some clues. Without this, it's difficult to give you much more in the way of advice/help.

Live update says I'm at the latest release @ 11.1.5.55405

There doesn't appear to be any download patches later than this that I can find on the website.

Found and installed 11.1.6.55604

Started all over and have the following currently in sync.  will monitor and report.