cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off-site copy limit

Gaga
Level 3

Is there a way to limit the size of data BESR8 places on off-site media (ESATA drive in my case)? So far the program doesn't care to delete the old files automatically and only gives an error message if there is no space. I have to manualy clean up from time to time.

Main backup destination only maintains the number of recovery points set in Tasks, Run or Manage Backups but even the size threshold is set in Tools, Manage Backup Destination, and "automatically optimize storage" is selected, this option doesn't work, and I have to do a clean-ip manually.

7 REPLIES 7

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
The offsite copy option will follow the retention value set with the backup job itself. Remember to note the value of recovery point sets to retain when setting up a job should take into consideration that we will not delete a backup till be create one additional backup more then the value specified. If you leave the default value to one there will need to be enough space for four baseline images; long enough for the procedure to delete the first set can be completed.

Gaga
Level 3

Should it be able to handle a few off-site drives? I have four drives, but the program assumes the off-site drive is same all the time: it deletes the extra off-site files only one time and only from one drive and forgets that the extra copies of these files exist on other off-site drives, so I always have to delete them manually.

Jacob_A
Level 6
Employee
Each off-site location is expected to me the same drive or location.

Gaga
Level 3
This makes sense only for FTP, but for off-site hard drive storage there must be more then one drive, otherwise it causes a lot of inconvenience. We are not protected by off-site storage technology during the time the off-site storage is done. Where do you think the off-site drive should sit in the night? Off-site! What time do people usually make the backup? In the nigh, meaning the drive should physically be On-site, not off-site. The olny way to follow your guideline is to have one drive, perform the backup during day time and carry it off-site for the night, but this means we have to do the backup during day time, when most of changes occur!! Does it make sense to you??

Jacob_A
Level 6
Employee
You can use the Send Feedback option under the Help menu to send in suggestions and requests for additional features.  These are used to help determine what features to add or alter.

Gaga
Level 3

As per the manual, I can assign up to two drives for the offsite storage. In my case I use two external sata drives, but they are connected to same SATA port, and they always show as F: drive. Do they have to be different letters?

And by the way they never show in Options, Destinations, External Drives. Do you know why?

Jacob_A
Level 6
Employee
Yes, they need to be different drive letters so that BESR can send the data to the correct location for each of the two off site destinations.