cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off to a bad start with System Recovery 2013 R2 SP4

Hans05
Level 4

I was glad to see the long awaited System Recovery 2013 R2 SP4 version out today so I downloaded it and thought I'd get right to testing it on my first system.

Unfortunatly, I cannot even install the product.

I'm trying to install on a system with the following characteristics:

------------

Intel Core i7 Processor

32GB RAM

Boot Drive is a 500GB SSD

OS is Windows 10 with the November 2015 update, 64-Bit

------------

I launch the install by running "browser.exe". I get the initial welcome screen with the various elements such as Getting Started, Installation, etc. At this point I click on "Install Now". At this point a screen opens that says "Loading the install. Please wait..." but within about 2 seconds the screen disappears and nothing more happens. Note that there is no error message, the program just seems to go away completely and the "Setup Launcher" disappears from the task list if I'm monitoring it while I attempt the install.

As a test, I tried the install on a Windows 7 system and it worked perfectly.

Is this possibly a problem with the November Update to Windows 10? I sure hope that we don't have to wait for another update that supports the November Update :)

Anyone else having any better luck than me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

Hans05,

What is your case number?

I would suggest you take a look in the Windows event logs (system/application) at the time of trying the install. I suspect something is crashing causing the install to fail.

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

Hans05
Level 4

As an update, I just tried installing on another Windows 10 machine. That one was clean installed with Win 10 November update (version 1511) about a week ago. A few apps have been installed but not a whole lot yet.

It's starting to look a whole lot like this was not at all tested with the November update. I hope someone proves me wrong, however, because this is getting really frustrating.

CQ
Level 5

Hi,

SP4 defintely was tested on machines running 1511.  I participated in the beta and it installed and ran without incident on 3 machines I own running Win 10 1511. They originally were all updated from Win 8.1.  I see you tried a second machine.  I assume you got the same install failure?  Hopefully Chris Riley can shed some light on this when he reads this topic. Does running browser.exe as administrator make any difference?  So many things this might be.

CQ

Hans05
Level 4

Thanks, CQ. Yes, I'm getting exactly the same problem as on the first machine. Namely, there is no error message at all, the install just simply closes almost instantly.

Some observations:

One of the two machines was an upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 10 version 1511 while the other was a clean install of version 1511 so it doesn't seem to be an issue of upgrade vs. new install.

Note that it's definitely not a problem with a bad download. After the failure on the first machine I re-download the SP4 version and even did so from a different location location.

I have a couple of laptops as well that I will test on this evening and post my results. One came with 8.1 but has since been upgraded to Win 10 via a clean install, the other is a brand new machine (about a week old) that came with Win 10 preinstalled already but that I upgraded to version 1511. I'll see what results I get with those.

So the one big difference that I see so far, at least between your installations and mine, are that all of mine were clean installs or factory preload of Windows 10 while you upgraded from 8.1.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will update this evening when I test the laptops.

CQ
Level 5

Hans05,

Thanks for the additional info.

I still participate in the Microsoft Insider program so I have a VM running a clean install of Win 10 1511.  When I get home tonight I will see how an install reacts in that environment.

CQ

Hans05
Level 4

I've done some additional testing now.

I was able to successfully install it on my Laptop and on a VM running under VMware Workstation Pro 12.1.0.

So I'm back to trying to figure out why I cannot install on the two desktop machines.

One machine has a fair amount of software installed on it, the other one is pretty much a pristine installation of Windows 10 with the the exception of having VMware Workstation Pro 12.1.0 installed as well as the latest Acrobat Reader DC. I uninstalled both programs but still could not install SSR.

The only thing that I can really think of in common between the 2 machines where it does not work is that both are running 32GB RAM whereas machines / VMs on which I can install have less RAM.

It appears to me like the setup is crashing right at the time where the license agreement would be displayed.

To take it even a step further I manually ran the _setup program and this does successfully install the program but that's not a real solution because that seems to bypass check for necessary componets and also doesn't install any of those components. I also notice that there is no option to create recovery media when I install it that way. It also installs really fast that way so I know it's skipping the installation of a lot of components, but this was simply meant to be for testing anyway.

r4784
Level 3

Just tried to install it and attachment shows the error I got.

I have 2013 R2 version 11.1.3.55088 which according to live update is the latest. If you can't open pdf it basically says can't find correct version of software installed and cannot update.

I thought I would give symantec/veritas one last try before uninstalling it from my computers and my customers and switch all of them.

r4784
Level 3

Sorry should have said build 1511 win 10 with latest updates as of today.

Is there a newer version of ssr out there that my live update is not seeing???

CQ
Level 5

Hans05,

SP4 installed without incident on my VM running a clean install of Win 10.   Also, one of the updated machines on which I installed SP4 also has 32 GB of RAM.  Go figure lol.  May be time to open a support case and send them installation logs.

CQ

Hans05
Level 4

CQ,

I think that you are right. Probably time to open a case. In the meantime, I now have a 3rd machine on which it also fails to install on. That one too is a very vanilla almost clean install of Windows 10 1511. To too terribly sure how much the install log will tell since it never even gets as far as license agreement, but it's worth a shot. Here is the whole install log start to finish:

Symantec System Recovery (TM) 2013 R2 Installation Log
12-14-2015,19:07:22 : EnumProcesses Counts: 104
12-14-2015,19:07:22 : OS is Windows 8 or Windows 2012.
12-14-2015,19:07:22 : The OS product type is Workstation.
12-14-2015,19:07:24 : Executing managed _Setup:
12-14-2015,19:07:24 : D:\SSR 2013 R2 SP4\SSR\SSRx64\Install\_Setup.exe
 + 12-14-2015,19:07:25 : ERROR: Installation failed with error -532462766. GetLastError = :0

Hans05
Level 4

r4784,

In response to your question, yes, there is a newer version, SP4 was just released today. Maybe it's not showing in Live Update yet, but it's available via the licensing portal.

Hans05
Level 4

CQ,

I have now opened a Technical Support case, but in the meantime, one question for you: When you are installing are you simply installing the SP4 patch or are you using the the full System Recovery Desktop Edition 2013 R2 SP4 media? That's what I am doing. I'm not simply trying to run the SP4 update. Just thought I would make sure that this was clear.

criley
Employee Accredited

Hans05,

What is your case number?

I would suggest you take a look in the Windows event logs (system/application) at the time of trying the install. I suspect something is crashing causing the install to fail.

CQ
Level 5

Hans05,

In all cases I have been using the full installation media.  As Chris suggested, I am curious what your Windows' logs show.  This failure over multiple machines must have a common thread.  Scratching my head on this one.

Good luck and let us all know what you find out.

CQ

r4784
Level 3

Hans05 

I downloaded the sp4 and then when installing I get that error that it can't find software and can't install. I have ran live update several times last night and this morning and am still getting the error.

Hans05
Level 4

Chris,

The case nmber is 20923974 and sure enough, I am seeing an error in the eventy logs. I get an application error in _Seyup.exe. Here is a copy of those errors:

Note: This is from the application log. No errors are present in the system log.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        .NET Runtime
Date:          12/15/2015 10:12:51 AM
Event ID:      1026
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      hanness-pc2
Description:
Application: _Setup.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Security.SecurityException
   at a.a(System.String[])

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-12-15T15:12:51.186433200Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1497</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>hanness-pc2</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Application: _Setup.exe
   at a.a(System.String[])

</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Source:        Application Error
Date:          12/15/2015 10:12:51 AM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Description:
Faulting application name: _Setup.exe, version: 15.0.16.0, time stamp: 0x53639516
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d1de
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000071f08
Faulting process id: 0xc84
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1374b10a1cb53
Faulting application path: C:\SSR\SSR\SSRx64\Install\_Setup.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: d99476f7-e239-4f2f-b834-1f0563212b4f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-12-15T15:12:51.233313300Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1498</EventRecordID>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>_Setup.exe</Data>
    <Data>15.0.16.0</Data>
    <Data>53639516</Data>
    <Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>10.0.10586.0</Data>
    <Data>5632d1de</Data>
    <Data>e0434352</Data>
    <Data>0000000000071f08</Data>
    <Data>c84</Data>
    <Data>01d1374b10a1cb53</Data>
    <Data>C:\SSR\SSR\SSRx64\Install\_Setup.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>d99476f7-e239-4f2f-b834-1f0563212b4f</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Hans05
Level 4

UPDATE: ISSUE RESOLVED

I can't believe I didn't think to look at the actual Windows Event logs myself. Chris, your suggestion to look at that is what I needed to solve the issue. So if you look at the log messages I posted in my last message here, you will note that it was the .NET Framework that was reporting an application fault in _Setup.exe. That got me thinking. Most of the systems where I have the problem were fairly new clean installs of Windows 10 1511. As a result, I had the default .NET Framework 4 installed but not the .NET Framework 3.5 which has to be specifically added because it is not installed by default.

I added .NET Framework 3.5 and that resolved the issue.

Request: I'll post this to my case as well, but I would like to make the suggestion that the setup maybe check to see if .NET Framework 3.5 is installed or not and either offer to install it or at least prompt the user to install it. In my experience, applications that need it usually tell you when you try to install them that you need to install .NET Framework 3.5. That would be a far more desirable mode of behavior rather than the _Setup.exe simply crashing.

Thanks to all who have responded here in helping me to figure this out.

- Hannes

Hans05
Level 4

Sorry, I really don't want to beat a resolved issue to death, but something just dawned on me:

As part of my testing yesterday, I installed a brand new clean copy of Windows 10 in a VM and then tried to install System Recovery and that worked fine. I would think that the new install would not have had .NET 3.5 installed so I'm curious why that worked.

If I have time, I may test this again and see what I can determine. At this point it's just more a matter of curiousity.

Hans05
Level 4

Thought I would just provide one final summary so that this can help anyone else encountering the issue:

Symptom

When trying to install Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 SP4 (the full product, not just the SP4 patch) onto a Windows 10 version 1511 PC, the installation may fail. To be more specific, after running 'browser.exe' and then clicking on 'Install Now', a screen comes up briefly that says "Loading the install. Please Wait..." and a few seconds later the screen disappears with no error message. It just simply goes away.

Resolution Without a Known Root Cause

Looking in the Windows Event Logs I see that .NET Framework is reporting the fault in the '_Setup.exe'. On a hunch, I installed .NET Framework 3.5 which is not installed by default in Windows 10.

Note: To install .NET Framework, open Control Panel, Select 'Programs', 'Programs and Features', 'Turn Windows features on or off'. Select the checkbox for '.NET Framwork 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)' and then click 'OK'.

Now try to install Symantec System Recovery installation again and it should work.

The odd part about this is that in some systems I tested, particularly, clean installations of Windows 10 Version 1511 on VMware workstation, SSR installed just fine without my having to install .NET Framework 3.5.

So in conclusion, it seems that there are times where SSR will not install unless you install .NET Framework 3.5 first, but there are other times where you do not need to install .NET Framework 3.5. Exactly why this difference in behavior, I cannot say.

For sake of completeness, here are the errors that I found in the Application Event Log when this issue occurs.

Source:        .NET Runtime
Date:          12/15/2015 10:13:02 AM
Event ID:      1026
Task Category: None
Description:
Application: _Setup.exe
   at a.a(System.String[])

Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-12-15T15:13:02.202977300Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1500</EventRecordID>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Application: _Setup.exe
   at a.a(System.String[])

</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Source:        Application Error
Date:          12/15/2015 10:13:02 AM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Description:
Faulting application name: _Setup.exe, version: 15.0.16.0, time stamp: 0x53639516
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d1de
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000071f08
Faulting process id: 0x6ec
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1374b1732da68
Faulting application path: C:\SSR\SSR\SSRx64\Install\_Setup.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: f0660fec-f5bb-473c-ad14-4a46f3d15a52
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-12-15T15:13:02.234222600Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1501</EventRecordID>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>_Setup.exe</Data>
    <Data>15.0.16.0</Data>
    <Data>53639516</Data>
    <Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>10.0.10586.0</Data>
    <Data>5632d1de</Data>
    <Data>e0434352</Data>
    <Data>0000000000071f08</Data>
    <Data>6ec</Data>
    <Data>01d1374b1732da68</Data>
    <Data>C:\SSR\SSR\SSRx64\Install\_Setup.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>f0660fec-f5bb-473c-ad14-4a46f3d15a52</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

I had a support case open but closed it when I found that installing .NET 3.5 resolved the issue, but in hindsight I'm thinking that maybe a little further investigation might be a good idea.

Support had contacted me wanting to do a remote troubleshooting session with me but unfortunately the machines in question are my personal machines at home and I'm at work during the day. I do have off all next week so I may open a case again then after I setup a system where I can demonstrate the problem.

As a side note, Veritas support was very quick to get back to me and I've had good response from persons on this forum as well, so I have to say I'm pleased with the level of support.

If I find out anything more worthwhile noting I'll report back in this thread.

Hans05
Level 4

Okay, so this pretty much confirms it. Here is a portion of the system requirements from the readme (the bold text emphesis is my own):

The following Microsoft .Net Framework versions are required for installing and using Symantec System Recovery:

• Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2: Required to run the Symantec System Recovery installation program.

• Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 or later: Required to run and use Symantec System Recovery.

Note:

If the required .NET Framework versions are not already installed, the Symantec System Recovery installation program automatically installs them on your computer.

• Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable

• Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable

• Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable

• SSR installer installs .NET 4.5 on the following platforms:

• Windows 7 SP1 (x86 and x64) and above

• Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (x64) and above

• Windows Server 2008 SP2 (x86 and x64) and above

Note:

By default, Windows 10 operating system is installed with .Net Framework 4.6.

So the bottom line is that the installer does not seem to be detecting that .NET 2 is not installed (.NET 2 is included with the installation of .NET 3.5 in Windows 10).

Chris Riley: Is this something that you can report or do you prefer that I open a support case to address this?