cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off to a bad start with System Recovery 2013 R2 SP4

Hans05
Level 4

I was glad to see the long awaited System Recovery 2013 R2 SP4 version out today so I downloaded it and thought I'd get right to testing it on my first system.

Unfortunatly, I cannot even install the product.

I'm trying to install on a system with the following characteristics:

------------

Intel Core i7 Processor

32GB RAM

Boot Drive is a 500GB SSD

OS is Windows 10 with the November 2015 update, 64-Bit

------------

I launch the install by running "browser.exe". I get the initial welcome screen with the various elements such as Getting Started, Installation, etc. At this point I click on "Install Now". At this point a screen opens that says "Loading the install. Please wait..." but within about 2 seconds the screen disappears and nothing more happens. Note that there is no error message, the program just seems to go away completely and the "Setup Launcher" disappears from the task list if I'm monitoring it while I attempt the install.

As a test, I tried the install on a Windows 7 system and it worked perfectly.

Is this possibly a problem with the November Update to Windows 10? I sure hope that we don't have to wait for another update that supports the November Update :)

Anyone else having any better luck than me?

47 REPLIES 47

r4784
Level 3

Just tried to do a repair of ssr since it still won't take the sp4 update and when it tried to reboot -- I had no boot drive. After several minutes of panic and trying to reboot getting the same no boot drive found I used my Acronis backup and all is fine. The fact that ssr would not take sp4 and no one seemed to have an answer as to why and it then hosed my computer --- it will not be recommended to any of my customers.

criley
Employee Accredited

Chris Riley: Is this something that you can report or do you prefer that I open a support case to address this?

I am looking into this. Will reply once I have some news on this for you.

Hans05
Level 4

Chris,

I just thought that I should let you know that I did go ahead and open a new case to report the issue. It's case # 20932665. I provided a complete summary there.

criley
Employee Accredited

I've confirmed that actually we don't need .NET 2.0 and 4.5.

Just having 4.5 (or higher) should be enough. Seems like there is something specific on your machine that is causing the issue - that would need further investigation.

Hans05
Level 4

Chris, thanks for the information. I guess that the documentation should be corrected then. Also, note that on all 3 of the machines where I saw this problem, the problem was resolved by installing .NET 3.5 (which includes .NET 2 and 3) so somehow it clearly seems to have needed it.

Hans05
Level 4

Chris, I just thought that I would try this on yet another machine. This time my test subject was a brand new HP Spectre X360 laptop. Only things that have changed from the original factory install is that it was upgraded to the Windows 10 November update and Office 365 has been installed. Once again, without installing .NET 3.5 the install program crashes. I install .NET 3.5 and it then installs fine.

So, whoever informed you that just having the default .NET 4.6 that comes with Windows 10 just flat out seems to be wrong.

To summarize, I can duplicate this issue on every single physical machine that I have tried so far. Thus far I have tried 4 machines. The only exception, for some reason, seems to be Windows 10 installed as a VM. On those VMs I did not have to install .NET 3.5.

criley
Employee Accredited

To summarize, I can duplicate this issue on every single physical machine that I have tried so far. Thus far I have tried 4 machines. The only exception, for some reason, seems to be Windows 10 installed as a VM. On those VMs I did not have to install .NET 3.5.

Interesting! I only have Win 10 inside a VM here so cannot test on a physical machine. I'm not sure why physical vs VM should matter though.

Maybe this will help: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh925568%28v=vs.110%29.aspx - you could try comparing working and non-working machines.

Hans05
Level 4

Chris,

Thanks for the link to the MSDN article. In the meantime, I've unraveled one more small piece of the puzzle: The reason that this works on a VM is that the VM Tools are installing something that resolves the issue. Here is how I determined this:

1) Install a clean copy of Windows 10, Version 1511 on VMware Workstation Pro 12.1.0. Do NOT instrall the VMware Tools! To do this, make sure you go through a manual install of Windows 10 because if you allow the VMware Easy Install to perform the installtion then it will install the VMware tools. Make the Network adapter a Host Only adapter so that I can connect to the physical machine on which VMware is running and copy Symantec System Recovery to the VM.

2) Try to install SSR. It fails, just as it does on the physical machines.

3) Now install the VMware tools.

4) Try to install SSR and it will now succeed.

So at least now we know that the issue can be reproduced on a clean install on a VM as well, you just have to prevent the VMware tools from installing.

BJB
Level 5

Greetings.  Regarding installing the patch vs. the full version, if I am a registered and support-licensed user, where is the best place to get the full install?  Or do I have to install a full version and the patch? 

Is the download under the old Symantec account license login still being updated or do I need a new Veritas login?    Is there as summary somewhere regarding the changeover with links and info perhaps?  The documentation on the Veritas download link is sparse.

As a registered user I get marketing e-mail but never got anything regarding the buyout or how support is changing. The old Symantec forum and this forum has been how I found out and tried to piece together how to get running on a fresh Windows 10 install. I have been waiting for the Windows 10 compatible version and appreciate all the good info on this thread.    Thanks.  BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

BJB,

You should be able to get the full copy via the support portal: https://my.veritas.com/

If not there, you can always download it via our trialware site: https://www.veritas.com/product/backup-and-recovery/system-recovery

BJB
Level 5
Thanks, that worked after a few "404 errors". It did that a few days ago too so I thought it was not up. But I refreshed and it came up. Have to use IE, "Edge" does not work. Do I assume correctly since this is a "Fresh" install, I will need to restart my incremental backups? Will it "find" any of my prior backups to track or better to start all over? BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

BJB,

Are you already running 2013 R2? If yes, you should just need to install the patch, not the full install.

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000099915

criley
Employee Accredited

Hans05,

Thanks for this additional info - I can now reproduce what you are seeing.

I have reported this internally and will wait for a response from our engineering team. Will keep you posted ..

Thanks again for taking the time to test and provide your feedback. Happy new year!

BJB
Level 5
No, this is a fresh install as noted above. I was running ssr on win 7 and have backups on a nas. I have a new gard drive with a new install of won10. Not am upgrade. Ssr had never seen this hard drive. I am not running ssr. Have been waiting for it to work on win10. This is why I asked about my current backup library including incrementalls. Will it find them or do I just need to start over. Of course it should be able to restore them. Not asking that. Thanks, BJB PS. Veritas email notifications for posts do not seem to be working.

criley
Employee Accredited

BJB,

If this is a new install of Windows 10, then a new install of SSR -- SSR won't 'find' any of your existing backups because this is a new install. As you said, restores will still work though.

criley
Employee Accredited

Hans05,

This appears to fix the issue: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000020939. Can you please confirm?

That said, I cannot really explain why the issue is not present when VMware Tools is installed ..

BJB
Level 5
Chris, With a fresh install do I need to install the ADK in order to create an SRD? BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

With a fresh install do I need to install the ADK in order to create an SRD?

No, that should not be necessary.

BJB
Level 5

Chris,

Thanks...one more question.  The Veritas licensing website is now working.  I have version 11.1/ R2  downloaded....now I just need to know what serial number i need to input.  Or, since I downloaded it direct from the secure portal (and not the trial demo link)  maybe I don't need one?

My new veritas license page has an "IB instance number", "SC number", "Entitlement ID", and "Legacy Serial Numbers".  Using a "Legacy serial number" does not sound like the right thing to do.  And there is no description about what the other numbers mean.

Now my Symantec license login still works and that lists a serial number.  But the only serial number Veritas lists are those legacy numbers.

I just need to know what number I enter and where in the software. to make sure my software stays "live" and does not expire.  I already own the license, just can't figure out how to use it.

Thanks,
BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

BJB,

Sorry, but I'm not the right person to help answer those questions. Please call in (https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/contact-us.html) and ask to speak to someone from our customer care team - they should be able to help you with these questions.