cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off to a bad start with System Recovery 2013 R2 SP4

Hans05
Level 4

I was glad to see the long awaited System Recovery 2013 R2 SP4 version out today so I downloaded it and thought I'd get right to testing it on my first system.

Unfortunatly, I cannot even install the product.

I'm trying to install on a system with the following characteristics:

------------

Intel Core i7 Processor

32GB RAM

Boot Drive is a 500GB SSD

OS is Windows 10 with the November 2015 update, 64-Bit

------------

I launch the install by running "browser.exe". I get the initial welcome screen with the various elements such as Getting Started, Installation, etc. At this point I click on "Install Now". At this point a screen opens that says "Loading the install. Please wait..." but within about 2 seconds the screen disappears and nothing more happens. Note that there is no error message, the program just seems to go away completely and the "Setup Launcher" disappears from the task list if I'm monitoring it while I attempt the install.

As a test, I tried the install on a Windows 7 system and it worked perfectly.

Is this possibly a problem with the November Update to Windows 10? I sure hope that we don't have to wait for another update that supports the November Update :)

Anyone else having any better luck than me?

47 REPLIES 47

BJB
Level 5

Everyone is always so helpful on this forum, hopefully this can help someone else.  I was an existing customer pre-merger so my license data migrated.  I am not sure if this helps anyone trying to buy a license, but hopefully can help those of us trying to navigate to the new portal and install new software on a new drive (which I think is the only reason to have to do this).

What I was told  you need to do to activate the software is go to the my.veritas.com portal, login in, navigate to your license and go to "entitlements" and "entitlement ID".  To the right you will see "download" and "get a key".  Download gets you the program.  Get a key generates a key that (hopefully) when I key into my install takes it out of trial mode into registered mode.

Will test later this week.

BJB  PS.  Since the move to the new forum still not getting email notifications on posts even though I have those turned on.  Not a junk mail issue, just not sure they are going out.

BJB
Level 5

Well......after dealing with the zipfile unblock issue I did get SSR2013R2 installed. (strange that no one tested that zipfile on a Windows 10 clean install). 

Anyway,  I did not install the ADK per your recommendation.  However, upon my first startup, I got the message "The Symantec System Recovery Disk is not available for this computer" along with the not running current version of windows stuff.  Based on my hours of forum post reading pre-installation, I expected that this message only showed up if you had upgraded to Windows 10. I did not.   I am running on a fresh, clean, self-installed version of Windows 10 on a new hard drive.  Why did I still get this message? 

1. Does this mean I really can't create and SRD without messing around with the multi-gig SDK? 

2. How do I create my SRD? 

3. Can I still create a 32 bit and a 64 bit SRD from the same interface?    

4. Once I creaste the SRD, if I want to use it to MAKE a cold boot complete backup will the same serial number that worked on my desktop install work on the SRD?                                  

This has really been a battle...not sure how people that don't follow these forums even get the product installed and working.  Was hoping to get this installed and working this weekend but can't see spending time making fresh backups if the SRD is not going to work.

Thanks as always for your help Chris.  

BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

BJB,

Why did I still get this message? Just to clarify.... is this what you are seeing? http://www.veritas.com/docs/000100493

If it is the same issue, a fix is expected this week... more details to follow on that.

Hans05
Level 4

Since I’m the one who started this thread I thought that I would just update it with the latest information supplied to me from Technical Support regarding this issue.

I’ve been away for the holidays taken vacation so apologies for not posting this earlier.

To summarize, the original issue was that when trying to install SSR 2013 R2 with SP4 Desktop Edition on the latest version of Windows 10, the installer would crash. You can see my original posting for more detail on the symptoms if you wish.

To resolve this issue, Technical Support advised that I perform the following steps, and I can confirm that this has worked for me on each and every system where I was having problems:

1. Locate the original ZIP file that you have downloaded (System_Recovery_2013R2_11.1.4.55331_Multilingual_Product.zip), right-click it and choose Properties.
  1. On the General tab, look for a section that says the following:

Security: This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer.

There should be a checkbox to the right of this that says “Unblock”. Check this box and then click on “OK”

1. Extract the contents of this ZIP file.
  1. Run the file “browser.exe” by right-clicking it and choosing “Run as administrator”. Note: I found that it seemed to work fine for me even if I ran it normally and not as administrator. It seems that checking the “Unblock” as noted above is really the important part, but I’m including this since it was what Technical Support advised.
  1. At this point the installation should proceed normally.

If you have any questions regarding this please feel free to let me know and I will answer to the best of my ability.

BJB
Level 5

Chris,

Yes, this is it. I just wanted to note that it is appearing on a clean, non-upgraded Windows 10 install.  I thought the current consensus was it was only happening on upgraded Win 10 installations. Glad to hear a fix is coming this week. Still wish notificaitons on patches went out to registered users.

So assuming the fix allows me to create a SRD, can you answer these questions?

-Can I still create a 32 bit and a 64 bit SRD from the same SRD interface?    

-Once I creaste the SRD, if I want to use it to MAKE a cold boot complete backup will the same serial number that worked on my desktop install work on the SRD?                                  

- Do I need ot do anything special for a backup of a windows 10 boot drive installed in UEFI mode with a UEFI bios?

Thanks,
BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

BJB,

The fix is now available - please open a support case to obtain the fix.

To answer your questions:

-Can I still create a 32 bit and a 64 bit SRD from the same SRD interface? Yes, but only when using the advanced option. The 'Creation Options' screen of the SRD wizard explains this..

-Once I creaste the SRD, if I want to use it to MAKE a cold boot complete backup will the same serial number that worked on my desktop install work on the SRD? Yes                          

- Do I need ot do anything special for a backup of a windows 10 boot drive installed in UEFI mode with a UEFI bios? No

BJB
Level 5

Chris,

Thanks.  Case is created.

BJB

Thank you.   That solved the issue for me too.