cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offsite Copy - Copy Latest Full Recovery Set Only??

T_Cole
Not applicable

I use SSR to backup a number of servers.  I do a full recovery point set on weekends and then incrementals daily.   My onsite backup destination is able to hold 4 recovery point sets.   I want to be able to just copy the most recent recovery point set to store offsite.  Is there a way to do this within SSR without getting all 4 sets.   The Offsite copy option looks like it would try to copy all 4 sets.   For offsite DR only the most recent set is important to me. 

2 REPLIES 2

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The offsite process syncs the backup destination to the offsite destination. There is not a setting to limit the recovery point sets that are synchronized.

From the User's Guide:

"When you enable Offsite Copy, you specify up to two offsite copy destinations. After the backup job finishes creating recovery points, Offsite Copy verifies that at least one of the offsite copy destinations is available. Offsite Copy then begins copying the new recovery points to the offsite copy destination. The most recent recovery points are copied first, followed by the next newest recovery points. If you have set up two offsite copy destinations, Offsite Copy copies recovery points to the destination that was added first. If an offsite copy destination is unavailable, OffsiteCopy tries to copy recovery points to the second destination, if it is available. If neither destination is available, then Offsite Copy copies the recovery points the next time an offsite copy destination becomes available. For example, suppose you have configured a backup job to run at 6:00 p.m. and configured an external drive as an offsite copy destination. However, when you leave the office at 5:30 p.m., you take the drive with you for safekeeping. When the backup job completes at 6:20 p.m., Symantec System Recovery detects that the offsite copy destination drive is not available and the copy process is aborted. The following morning, you plug the drive back in to the computer. Symantec System Recovery detects the presence of the offsite copy destination drive and automatically begins copying your recovery points. Offsite Copy is designed to use very few system resources so that the copying process is done in the background. This feature lets you continue to work at your computer with little or no impact on system resources. If an offsite copy destination runs out of disk space, Offsite Copy identifies the oldest recovery points and removes them to make room for the most current recovery points. OffsiteCopy then copies the current recovery points to the offsite copy destination."

criley
Employee Accredited

As Andreas says, offsite copy is just a copy of what you have on your primary backup destination and there are no options to modify this.

I see your point and this would be a good enhancement to the product in my opinion. Please add this suggestion to the Ideas section:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas

One way you could workaround this would be to create a new independent (full only backup) job to run once a week. You could then just configure offsite for this specific job. The downside is that there will be a week between offsite copies. Something to consider though.