cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offsite Copy Restarting at beginning

DLCole
Level 2

This is more of a feature request.  I am trying to use offsite copy to copy the backups via a VPN to another office.  On one Server with a small amount of data (less than 20GB) it is no problem.  However, I have a server that the Recovery Point is 113GB, if there is any kind of interruption it recopies the data from the beginning.  I thought by breaking up the recovery point into multiple files it would only recopy the file that it was in the middle of copying when the connection was lost.  However, this is not the case, it restarts from the beginning of the recovery point.  Is there anyway to modify how this works?

If this is the wrong place to ask this let me know.

Thanks,

David Cole

3 REPLIES 3

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Sadly, becuase Offsite Copy is smart enough to preserve the integrity of recovery point sets –
that is, it won’t copy and orphan an incremental recovery point though spanned if disconnected it can't vouch for the integrity of the set/ baseline and would then start all over in the copy process. A few enhancement requests has been brought to the attention of product development concerning Offsite copies over limited network connections.

DLCole
Level 2

Actually, I would think since we're talking a split file (make sure I'm clear here, I'm talking about a base line file that has been split into multiple files) after it completes the copying of each file it could vouch for the integrity of that file.  It is no different than it completes copying the base file and is in the middle of copying an incremental file and is interrupted, it doesn't start to copy the base file again, it starts with the incremental file that was interrupted.  Technology has been around for years to restart a download that has been interrupted at the point of interruption, this would be a whole lot easier to restart at the beginning of the file that was interrupted.

Thanks,

Dave

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I put in your request, best for customers wanting this feature to use the HELP | Send Feedback option within BESR. Thanks