cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offsite FTP does not work!

jimbrown
Level 2
Partner Accredited
I installed Backup Exec System Recovery and configured the backup for offsite with ftp.  The backup finished OK but there is no evidence that the ftp backup even started.  I'm very disappointed in the lack of ability to "Test" "Track" and verify ftp offsite operations.  It has to get better than this... I'm relying on the ftp to convince my customers to enable the offsite to a DR (Disaster Recovery) site at my location.

If anyone has any insight or tips it would be appreciated. I have scoured the help files and user guide PDF's.

Regards, Jim Brown

1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
From the agent system see if it is able, through a window's command prompt, to access, copy and delete a file from itself to the FTP server in question. The test belows requires a text file called test.txt to be made and stored at the root of the agent system's C drive.

Credentials provided allow access to the ftp location test.

At the root of the c:\ volume at a command prompt do the following:
1. Type: "ftp <Host>" <press enter>
2. A prompt asking for the user name appears. Enter User name <press enter>
3. A prompt asking for the password appears. Enter the password <press enter>
4. Once connected you will see a message indicating the user is logged in.
If you cannot connect using these credentials, check with the ftp server administrator for appropriate access.
2. Credentials provided allow copying files to the ftp location

Copy a file to the ftp server test:
1. Type: "Put c:\test.txt" (without quotes) <press enter>
2. You should see "transfer complete" when this finishes.
If you cannot copy the file using these credentials, check with the ftp server administrator for appropriate access.

Credentials provided allow removing files from the ftp location test:
1. Type: "Delete test.txt" (without quotes) <press enter>
2. You should see a message: "DELE command successful" when this finishes.
If you cannot delete files using these credentials, check with the ftp server administrator for appropriate access.

NOTES:
-If the account being used allows connecting, copying, and deleting files, the BESR Offsite copy should work properly.
-Some FTP servers require a different level of access to create folders. The account being used in BESR needs this access in order to synchronize folders on an ftp server.
-Synchronization (replication) occurs at the storage location (where recovery points are being stored) to the Offsite location (BESR history is used for this synchronization).
-If recovery points have been deleted from the Offsite location, on the next Offsite Copy BESR would copy the most recent recovery point first and then the next most recent and so on..