cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offsite backups not running

alex_rose
Level 4

I have 3 servers each running Windows Server 2008 R2 and SSR 2011 (version 10.0.0.39952)

The servers are server-e, server-l and server-dr.

Server-dr runs the SSR "Console" and each server (including server-dr itself) backs up to a share on server-dr. There are also 2 USB drives that are plugged into server-dr for offsite backup, the disks are changed daily and a script runs before the backup jobs to ensure that the USB drives are shared properly.

The onsite backups to server-dr run absolutely fine on a daily basis, but the offsite backups do not run at all. If I get in in the morning and run a manual incremental job of each server it creates a new incremental and proceeds to write the offsite data. I do not make any other changes to the server, I don't do anything to the server at all, I just run the job manually.

There are no error messages generated, no feedback.

Any ideas? The only thing I can think that's different it that I am logged onto the server when I kick the job off manually, but I log off as soon as I've started all 3 jobs which is generally before any of the offsite copies start.

Are there any other places I could look at for logs?

This is the 3rd site I have put SSR into and it's so annoying that a product that's so brilliant when it works is so taciturn when it doesn't!

4 REPLIES 4

criley
Employee Accredited

Does this match what you are seeing?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH166085

alex_rose
Level 4

Hi Chris,

I did look at that article before but the issue I have is that the USB drive is attached before the backup starts so I think it may be a different issue.

Would it make any difference that the USB drives are being shared from server-dr? Although offsite does not work even on server-dr to which the drives are attached.

cheers,

Alex.

criley
Employee Accredited

There are also 2 USB drives that are plugged into server-dr for offsite backup, the disks are changed daily and a script runs before the backup jobs to ensure that the USB drives are shared properly.

So have you configured 2 offsite locations for each backup job?

When you say they are 'shared' - what do you mean exactly? What path did you specify when you added these as offsite locations?

alex_rose
Level 4

Yes each job has 2 offsite locations configured:

server-e has

\\server-dr\offsite-a\server-e

\\server-dr\offsite-b\server-e

server-l has

\\server-dr\offsite-a\server-l

\\server-dr\offsite-b\server-l

server-dr has

\\server-dr\offsite-a\server-dr

\\server-dr\offsite-b\server-dr

This is the same as the offsite setup at the other 2 sites. The offsite locations are set up as Windows shares located on server-dr i.e.

\\server-dr\offsite-a for USB disk A and

\\server-dr\offsite-b for USB disk B.

At 18:30 each day the following script runs to make sure that the drives are shared properly (as Windows does not like automatically remake a share on a USB drive when it is reconnected):

@echo off
net share OFFSITE-A /delete /Y
net share OFFSITE-A=V: /UNLIMITED /CACHE:NONE /GRANT:"3rb\domain admins",FULL

net share OFFSITE-B /delete /Y
net share OFFSITE-B=W: /UNLIMITED /CACHE:NONE /GRANT:"3rb\domain admins",FULL

This script makes sure the drives are mounted on server-dr using the correct drive letters and that they are shared using the correct share name.

Any ideas?