cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One drive, 2 incremental backup jobs to 2 different drives?

BJB
Level 5
I have been sending incremental backups of my local drives to my NAS.

I would like to start a second job to also send backups to another local drive on the same PC. They would be on different frequencies.

Is this possible? It seems like Backup 16 only wants one incremental backup job setup at a time for each drive. I know about one time backups, that does not help me.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
BJB
5 REPLIES 5

criley
Employee Accredited

@BJB

It seems like Backup 16 only wants one incremental backup job setup at a time for each drive.

That's correct - this is how the product has always worked.

Is there any particular reason you want to do this? Just curious ..

I want to do this as I have no need to keep my NAS on 24/7.  No I don't put stress on the drives by powering up and down a lot.....I use it for backups and infrequent access to video files.  So using a scheduled backup to the NAS would not work.  I just update incremental backups when I want.  I don't need this daily or even really weekly.  And wouldn't mind two backups of this important non OS drive.

So  with a lot of spare storage on local internal hard drives, I wanted a second incremental backup there.

I know I can do an independent one time backup on the NAS but don't want that.  Backups too big and would take too long.  But an incremental update run once a week would be great.

Any workaround tricks?  Not sure why you can't have 2 backup jobs sending the backups of the same drive to two different backup drives.  Backing up to two locations is good practice.

Thanks,

BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

@BJB

The reasoning here seems a little strange to me... (not wanting to keep NAS powered on). This is not a typical scenario that I've heard of.

If your NAS was powered on all the time, you could just backup to your local internal drive, then use offsite copy to your NAS so you have a secondary copy of your backups.

The bottom line is that you cannot have 2 x recovery point set backups for a single volume; this is how the product is designed I'm afraid.

There is no workaround to do what you are asking unfortunately.

Thanks for the confirmation on the backup methodology.  May be strange but keeping a NAS exposed to crypto intrusions that might get through when it is used once every two months would not make sense.

Having two backup copies is good backup policy.  I'll have to look at off site copy, thought that only worked for the builtin cloud solution.

Thanks for your help, always appreciated.

BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

@BJB

Having two backup copies is good backup policy.  I'll have to look at off site copy, thought that only worked for the builtin cloud solution.

Offsite copy is available for any disk-based location, as well as Cloud and FTP.