cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance Issues with SBESR 7.0

Richard_Wright_
Level 4
I recently updated all of my servers to SBESR 7.0 because I was having problems with the backups failing intermittently with "network connection no longer available". The backups are completing now, but they are taking a lot longer. For example, a 4 hr backup job is now taking 12-14 hrs, but this is not consistant across all of the servers. Nothing else has changed - same amount of users, etc. I have one server that backs up 32 GB in about 22 minutes.

Can anyone recommend some performance settings for speeding these up? I have changed the performance slider but that made no difference. I will look at the NICs to see if there are any issues, but those have not changed. I may apply 7.01 but will need to research that further.

Thanks in advance!

Message Edited by Richard Wright on 09-11-2007 07:28 AM
14 REPLIES 14

Richard_Wright_
Level 4
I read in the 7.0.1 docs that setting the system environment variable "V2ibuffer" to "defined" may improve speed. I made that change to the servers and will track the speeds.

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

Setting the "V2i_BUFFERED" variable would often show greatly increased performance with version 7.0.  Version 7.01 includes a fix that resolves that problem without the need to apply the variable.

I would suggest you try version 7.01.

Thanks.

Richard_Wright_
Level 4
I set the system variable "V2iBuffer" to "defined" are you saying it should have been V2i_BUFFERED?

I'll go ahead and make that change now since it will be awhile before you get to reply. I did not see any change after I made the first change so I must have had the name wrong. If that does not improve performance I will update to 7.0.1.

Thanks for the reply.

Message Edited by Richard Wright on 09-18-2007 06:27 AM

Richard_Wright_
Level 4
Bill,

No need to reply - I found another post regarding this where you answered the question - set the system variable "V2i_BUFFERED" to "defined" and then reboot.

I don't know when I can schedule the reboot, and am surprised that I would need to after changing that variable, but I will.

Thanks.

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hello,

Be sure the variable is created as a "System" variable.  The fact that it's a "System" variable is what requires a reboot.

Thanks.

Richard_Wright_
Level 4
I was able to make the change to 1 server and it's a good one. That last backup of 94GB too over 14 hrs. I kicked off a backup and after 18 minutes it had reached 15%. I checked back later but it errored out saying it lost connection to the service. The service was still running so I kicked off another one (fingers crossed). It has now been 8 minutes and it is 10% finished. Nice throughput! Hope it works this time...

Richard_Wright_
Level 4
This time it got to about 20% then I saw the following:
-Errors exist.
--Unable to write to file.
---Error EBAB03F1: The specified network name is no longer available.
---Unable to set file size.
----Error EBAB03F1: The specified network name is no longer available.
----Unable to write to file.
------Error EBAB03F1: The specified network name is no longer available.
------Unable to set file size.
--------Error EBAB03F1: The specified network name is no longer available.

Then clicking [OK] I go back to the Progress and Performance screen and see:
Failed
Error ebab0005 running job: (job name was here)

It was sure working hard and fast. There is not much traffic now so I don't know why that error message would appear. The network share is still up and active.
I think I will update that server to 7.0.1.

Message Edited by Richard Wright on 09-18-2007 01:12 PM

Richard_Presley
Level 3
I've received all the same errors as you describe with v7.01. The server in question only had a total of 3GB to backup and should have finished in less than an hour vice the 7-9 hours predicted. It would jump to 5% complete and remain while the Time to Complete would increment until 7-9 hours was reached. After reaching about 12% or greater complete it would fail with the write and network name errors listed.

I hesitated opening a case as this was the first server to experience these problems and naturally assumed they were on my end.

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hello,

I would probably suggest a ticket be opened with Symantec support at this point.  I did a KB search for the errors listed in this thread and didn't find anything.  Support will be able to gather debug/log files and look into the problem further.

In the meantime, here are some additional questions/ideas:

- Does the issue only occur when storing to a network location (i.e. do local backups work okay)
- Does the issue only occur with certain network locations/shares?
- Do basic "file copy" operations of medium/large files from the client to the network location work okay?
- What happens if you use a different compression or encryption setting?
- What happens if you use a different throttle/network throttle setting?
- Have you tried (temporarily) opening up the share such that the "everyone" group has full read/write access?
- Are any network security applications present on the client system that might be involved?

Thanks.

Dean_Bishop
Level 2
Partner
Hey,

i spent a few quality hours on the phone with Symantec Tech support but they weren't buying that this was a Symantec problem.

i have a PE2950, Xeon 2G 64bit, 4GB RAM, 3x300GB SAS in a RAID 5.  The system is running Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard 64bit and System Recovery 7.0.1 and i am all up to date on all patches and sp's.

My backup server is across a 5Mb link.  i have two old servers also getting backed up across this link but they are running LiveState 6.  The old servers work just fine.

When i attempt to backup the new server it acheives about 100MB/hr.  The old servers are doing about 2GB/hr.  If i do a backup to a server on the local network, the backup is done in about an hour.  If i copy a 1GB file from the new server to the backup server using windows explorer, the file is copied after about 30min. 

i am just rebooting after making the system variable change.  i will keep this thread up to date because now i am more convinced that this _is_ a Symantec issue after all.  i have a support contract with them and will pass on all that i discover but if anyone has additional input i would love to hear it.

best regards,
dean

Dean_Bishop
Level 2
Partner
Hey,

okay, more detail.  i have tried the environment variable with no improvement.  i should add though that if i try to use windows explorer to see the files on the backup server, it takes several minutes to refresh.  i can browse to other machines across the 5Mb link without delay.  Also i can also browse from others servers to the backup server across the 5Mb link without any delay.

Basically i can eliminate everything.  It's as though a virtual pipe of a limited size is created between the two servers and the backup process consumes all of the available bandwidth in this pipe.  The only problem is that there is no, or next to no, data actually flowing.  The backup i started an hour ago is stuck at 5% and 100MB.

later,
dean

Kingsley_Mok
Level 5
No doubt, the performance of Backup Excec System Recovery (BESR) is super slow.

We do a lot of testing here with PCs and Servers and we find that Acronis True Image is a lot faster in cloning HDD, bare metal restore and imaging.

Using our own custom made PE disc to restore an image and manual method to install mainboard, video, and NIC drivers took us 30 mins or less.  This was much FASTER than BESR.  BESR took almost 1 to 1.5 hours to complete the process.  It was a pain to sit there and watch BESR chugging.

I'd rather stick to our custom made PE with *all* the reliable sys admin tools in one CD for System Recovery.

The total cost of our custom made PE?  Under $200, from Acronis to all the free tools like Avast Antivirus and so on.  It's an all in one custom PE disc just about any sys admin can do.

Custom made PE disc vs BESR

Custom made PE disc Advantanges:
-Faster
-More tools (all disk tools, all anti-gens, ROM Burners, Star Office, web browser, so on...)
-Cheaper
-Universal

Custom made PE disc Disadvantages:
-none

Dean_Bishop
Level 2
Partner
Good morning,

Though i haven't done a whole lot of testing of other solutions i was very happy with the results of BESR in general.  But then perhaps our requirements are not as involved.  i was simply happy that i was able to backup our Windows 2003 R2 x64 server to a USB drive and then boot the system off of the stock recovery CD, have it detect and load drivers for both the RAID controller as well as the USB drive and allowed me to restore the image to a resized volume.

Our backups happen over a 5Mb link so i doubt that any improvements in software would really have an impact as the bottleneck for us is the link.

As it turns out, our speed issues were related to TOE (which was enabled) and a bad NIC driver.  Now that these have been resolved our backups fill the pipe and allow us to backup at the best possible speed.

best regards,
dean

Richard_Wright_
Level 4
Are you saying you disabled TOE and that helped increase speed?