cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Post management solution sp2 upgrade issues

jbtsabw
Level 4

I used the SIM to upgrade 2011 Management Solutions SP1 to SP2.  However, it shows the SIM as being installed but not configured properly.  The Altiris Event Log Viewer is full of errors such as:

Description: Unable to generate policy XML for item: Server (de2fe9d8-a355-42ef-a709-02a37ce52610)

( Exception Details: Altiris.NS.Exceptions.AeXException: An unexpected exception has occured during CreateInstance. (Assembely:Symantec.BackupSln, Version=10.0.1.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=33bb3a2c04e8ef55 Type:Symantec.BackupSln.Policies.ClientLicensePolicy) ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Symantec.BackupSln, Version=10.0.1.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=33bb3a2c04e8ef55' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'Symantec.BackupSln, Version=10.0.1.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=33bb3a2c04e8ef55'
   at System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)
   at Altiris.NS.ClassActivator.CreateInstance(String assembly, String type, Object[] parameters)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Altiris.NS.ClassActivator.CreateInstance(String assembly, String type, Object[] parameters)
   at Altiris.NS.ItemManagement.Item.CreateInstance(String strClassAssembly, String strClassType, Object[] parameters, Guid itemGuid)
   at Altiris.NS.ItemManagement.Item.CreateInstance(String strClassAssembly, String strClassType)
   at Altiris.NS.ItemManagement.Item.GetItemInternal(Guid itemGuid, IEnumerable`1 accessPermissions, ItemLoadFlags itemLoadFlags)
   at Altiris.NS.ItemManagement.Item.GetItem[T](Guid itemGuid, IEnumerable`1 accessPermissions, ItemLoadFlags itemLoadFlags)
   at Altiris.NS.AgentManagement.PolicyRequest.LoadItemPolicy(String request, Guid requestGuid, Guid resourceGuid, Guid hostGuid, Guid policyGuid, String& policy, String& policyHash, Guid& category, Int32& priority, Boolean& canCache, ISet`1& requiredPermissions, ISet`1& filterCollections) )
( Exception logged from:
   at Altiris.Diagnostics.Logging.EventLog.ReportException(Int32 severity, String strMessage, String category, Exception exception)
   at Altiris.NS.Logging.EventLog.ReportException(Int32 severity, String strMessage, String category, Exception exception)
   at Altiris.NS.Logging.EventLog.ReportException(String strMessage, Exception exception)
   at Altiris.NS.AgentManagement.PolicyRequest.LoadItemPolicy(String request, Guid requestGuid, Guid resourceGuid, Guid hostGuid, Guid policyGuid, String& policy, String& policyHash, Guid& category, Int32& priority, Boolean& canCache, ISet`1& requiredPermissions, ISet`1& filterCollections)
   at Altiris.NS.AgentManagement.PolicyRequest.LoadItemPolicies(String request, String configVers, Guid hostGuid, List`1 idents, SortedDictionary`2& policies, SortedDictionary`2& hashes)
   at Altiris.NS.AgentManagement.PolicyRequest.GetPolicies(String request)
   at Altiris.Web.NS.Agent.GetClientPolicies.ProcessRequest(String& request, Byte[]& clientConfigData, String& clientConfigXml, Boolean& compress)
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
   at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
   at Altiris.Common.Threading.LocalThreadPool.InvokeCallback(Object state)
   at Altiris.Common.Threading.LocalThreadPool.ExecuteUserWorkItem(UserWorkItem workItem)
   at Altiris.NS.Threading.NSThreadPool.ExecuteUserWorkItem(UserWorkItem workItem)
   at Altiris.Common.Threading.LocalThreadPool.ExecuteUserWorkItemInContextCallback(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at Altiris.Common.Threading.LocalThreadPool.ExecuteUserWorkItemInContext(UserWorkItem workItem)
   at Altiris.Common.Threading.LocalThreadPool.ThreadPoolProc(Object threadStartParameter)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(Object obj)
 )
( Extra Details:  Type=Altiris.NS.Exceptions.AeXException Src=Altiris.NS

Inner Extra Details:  Type=System.IO.FileNotFoundException Src=mscorlib )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Was the reconfigure successfull ?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you tried reinstalling SP2 ?

jbtsabw
Level 4

Yes, we have tried to reconfigure it and to reinstall it.  No change.  However, I am now running a reconfigure of the database since it appears the database did not get updated during the upgrade.  I have a case open with Symantec.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

I'll keep the fingers crossed for you !

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Was the reconfigure successfull ?

Lars_Nummedal
Level 2

Hi,

Did you have any success in getting the 2011 Management Solutions SP2 up and running again after you upgraded it from SP1 using SIM? We are facing the exact same problems as you with the same error messages, and I have not been able to find a solution on the web.

Like you, I get the impression that the database needs an upgrade, but I assume the Reconfigure database removes our existing config? In the Altiris Log Viewer I see:

The database [Symantec_CMDB] requires a product upgrade for C:\Program Files\Altiris\Notification Server\Config\CoreSolution.config: Old version: 7.0.5201 New version: 7.0.8800.0

I also see the following error - which I don't know if is related to the upgrade problem:

Unable to copy NS credentials and DB configuration/credentials information to SIM repository--SIM cached information will be used.

Any answer would be greatly appreciated :)

Best regards,
Lars Nummedal

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

We experienced the same problem and ended up with reinstalling the SSR Ms from scratch and redeployed all agents, policies etc.

Lars_Nummedal
Level 2

Thanks for your prompt reply! It is always nice to know that one is not alone :) I guess we'll go down the same road...