cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with "Copy My Hard Dive" finishing . . .

TechExec
Level 3

Hi All,

I am evaluating the above product and I have a hard drive that in is in the process of dying.  I have started the "Copy My Hard Drive" option about six times now and I am having the same problem each time.  It gets to 99% and never ends.  It takes about 3 hours to copy the drive to the new drive and there are no problems during that time, but when it gets to that 99% mark and it will not finish.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this thing to finish??  I have been working on this thing for almost a week now, because by the time it takes the three hours to get to the 99% mark and then waiting another hour or so to see if it will finish and it never does, it gets time to go to bed!!  

So . . . any help would be so greatly appreciated ! ! !

Thanks,

TechExec

7 REPLIES 7

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I am not sure if this has to do anything with Backup Exec. "Copy my harddrive now" sounds like a Norton Ghost feature. Please post in the relevant forum for solution

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Ghost/bd-p/Norton_Ghost

TechExec
Level 3

This is a feature of their new "System Recovery 2013", so I would say, I posted it in the correct forum for a solution.

DStain
Level 5

I think you are in the right forum,

Try this, run a full backup of your primary drive onto an external drive or another internal one.

Use that image to transfer it onto the new HDD, I call it the Image-Transfer method.

If you have more than one partition on the primary drive you need to transfer them one at a time.

If you post on the Ghost forum we or I can post the easy step by step method to do it, the method is the same for both G15 and SSR.

The Ghost forum is much easier to post pics and instructions on because I for one haven't sussed this forum  out yet.

Deric

TechExec
Level 3

Hi Deric,

Ok, I got the full backup done last evening and got ready to do the restore to the new drive and I can not find the recovery files anywhere.  I tried to get them from Symantics Site, but you need a serial number or some such thing and since I am just evaluating this product, I obviously do not have a serial number, so can you advise of where to get the recovery files?  Or the recovery disk?

Thanks,

Rick

TechExec
Level 3

Sorry

DStain
Level 5

Rick,

you need to download the SRD ISO and burn it to disk then you can boot up with that and it will find the .v2i files on the external drive.

Deric 

DStain
Level 5

Rick,

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/using-norton-ghost-15-to-restore-to-a-new-hard-...

I think I have managed to post a few instructions, let me know if you are happy with it, don't forget to backup all partitions on the primary drive, show hidden drives when backing up.

I use the image-transfer method a lot, the new drive doesn't need formatting just create the unallocated space by deleting the drive in disk management.

Deric