cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems backing up oracle and file servers BESR8.5

it_wasn_t_me_it
Level 4

I've recently move my oracle 10G database servers to BESR8.5 from another product but the incremental images are huge! Because of this the backups are still running into the working day and causing an impact to users. (base image compressed to 35GB but incremental image 10GB) because the other backup solution was able to exclude directories and file types this completed backups within hours.

As far as I'm aware there isn't a way to exclude a directory in besr but is there a way to exclude backing up file types?

Also I've move my file and printer server to besr8.5 but this is taking days to create a base image, there is over 9 million files on the data volume but this doesn't take up a massive amount of space. The total volume is only 850GB with 320GB free and the other backup system completed this in less than 24 hours.

If I can' get a resolution soon I will have to move these servers back to the other backup solution and use BESR to just image the operating system volume.

5 REPLIES 5

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Are these backups performed locally or over a network connection?

In the case of network backups, the following technical document may be helpful.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/307579

it_wasn_t_me_it
Level 4

These servers are backing up over the network to another windows server which has 2 x Dual-core AMD Opteron 2.8GHz CPU's, 4GB RAM, 2 arrays with 18x750GB 7.2k SATA drives setup as RAID 6 giving 11TB storage capacity with 2GB network interface. (network currently has 4GBit between swtiches).

I modified the backup jobs for these servers, i have one job to backup the OS volume and another setup to backup the data volumes using medium compression, these still fail to complete with the error "cannot create recovery points for job : drive backup of d:, Unable to read from file, Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service." after it gets above 60% complete.

Both the servers that have this problem have 2 x AMD Opteron 2.4GHz CPU's with 16GB RAM running Win 2003 Enterprise so i can't see the servers running out of resources. When i get some down time i will try this reg fix - altperformance-x64.reg

Regards

it_wasn_t_me_it
Level 4

I applied Altperformance1 x64 reg file to my file and print server (a) but now my manager console won't load on server b. The message is unable to connect to server c.

I've rebooted server b & c but this hasn't resolved the problem. Will removing the reg file from server a fix this issue?

it_wasn_t_me_it
Level 4

Forget my previous comment.....i forgot i was trying to get the liveupdate working and by adding the proxy settings into the browser i forgot to tick the bypass proxy for local addresses.

I will update this post once the backups have run with the new reg fix.

it_wasn_t_me_it
Level 4

Backup failed again this weekend. System volume backed up ok (3.5GB in 8 minutes). Data volume error "Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of  (D:\),  (E:\). Unable to read from file. Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service." even through the altperformance1 x64.reg was applied.

Backup started at 10:00 on Saturday morning and error logged at 00:10 Monday morning. By this time workstations backups would have started but they completed ok.